FJR Owners Forum banner
61 - 80 of 95 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Just for the record I enjoyed this post. I like speed I admire anyone with the intestinal Fortitude to get on a Track and Actually Race. The Superbike Race @ Mid Ohio in Lexington Ohio is to Die for. I have had 79 CB 750F (1st Bike), 86 V65 Sabre, 2000 Kawasaki Concourse, 85 Yamaha venture, 04 Yamaha Venture, 85 VMAX and now 06 FJR. The FJR is the only bike that handles as well as the 79 CB 750F did. It is a keeper. Super Sport Tour is my thing and the FJR fits the bill.

· Registered
159 Posts
I'm with you on this one NMrider. The LD crowd has had a great platform to work with and modify, but not all of us live and breath endurance riding. I've often wondered what a performance based company like Graves Yamaha could/would do with an FJR if given the funding.

· Registered
944 Posts
the ' HUMAN RACE ' team
did race the FJ ............... the percursor to the bike you ride today
against a sponsored Suzuki
Team Hammer
John ulrich
& did very well .................lead rider Kurt Hall !!!

there was a dirth of performance parts for
that 1100 / 1200 zuk
very little for the FJ

they made monster HP with both
the FJ broke a few times = lack o developement
the bike none the less was VERY Fast ! ! ! !

many times showing more speed than the zuk ..............
Kurt being a consummate rider & a great person

· Registered
18 Posts
I think the original poster had a great question. A faster FJR is something I would and may spend money to do in the future as well. As for those that have the opinion that you should modify another bike instead of the FJR?? To each is own. I think a FAST sport touring bike with a comfortable seating position, room for two and good wind protection is right up my alley. I have modified my four door Mercedes C63 for the same reason. It's practical, I can carry passengers and have a hotrod at the same time. Yes, I could have modified a Porsche, Nissan GTR, Mustang etc... but I modified the Mercedes.... And yes, its an every day car that run's mid high 11's on radials at nearly 120mph. It's fast and fun! Soooo, for all those that would not cut a rear fender or modify the engine on an FJR.... Well maybe you should of bought a Goldwing...:rolleyes:
I took the original posters question in the context of practicality and cost-effectiveness, not so much sport or the spirit of inventiveness. Having read subsequent comments however, I realize I was wrong. There is no reason to not do any sort of experimentation with a machine if you have the means and aren't necessarily looking for practical return on investment. What I love about the FJR is the fact that it is almost already a "beast" right out of the box yet is also a great long haul touring machine. Have you seen the FJR's 0-60 numbers? They compare quite favorably with a Busa. Of course after 60 it's a different story because it's a different bike. Aside from a Corbin Smuggler and Two Brothers slip ons, I haven't really found much else I would want to change on my FJR. I experiment with computers and such, so I completely understand the need to explore. It's what makes us men!

· Registered
470 Posts
Yeah. Sounds a little like putting an alcohol-burning, double-blower engine in a Volvo wagon.

IMO, NOS would compromise the bikes reliability and be a nuisance. Fuel injection modules like the Dynojet Powercommander can enhance the bike's mapping for throttle response and various exhaust configurations, but they don't give the bike more horsepower.

Have you considered a Suzuki Hyabusa?
I just happen to have one to sell. 185hp and with removed limiter 198mph. :D

· Registered
309 Posts
I have no issues with the FJR as a sport bike. Drove to the track with the bags and all my gear. Took the bags off taped up and made my adjustment. She is a bit big and heavy which does slow you in the corners. I never dragged but I had the suspension full stiff. The power on the straights and the ABS breaking make up for the weight. The only thing faster than the FJR down the front straight was a Big chick riding a Hybusa. She was hitting 150 and my best was 142. It was Ducati day so lots of guys doing demo's rides. They all laughed at the touring bike right up until a would pass them on the front straight. Everyone says the line on a track are way different on bike than a car. I claim BS. They don't move the cones when the bikes hit the track. I found the corner I struggle with in the race car are the same corners I have issues with on the bike. Areas I kick ass in the car were place the FJR was really fast. Big sweeper up a long hill with a few kinks in it that comes to a slow hairpin. The big girls power was really fast up the hill and the breaking of the heavy bike with abs was awe sum. I was very surprised how well the big girl did. So were many others at the track. I was also the only bike to come in under its own power which was pretty cool. My FZ8 would have been quicker through the corners with stickier tires. I find out on the open road when riding hard with other I prefer the FJR over the FZ8- Big power and top end make up a lot.

· Registered
682 Posts
There is a guy on the COG forum with a turboed fuel injected C10 Concours that is estimated close to 175 rwhp. It will power wheelie (roll on only) in 3rd and 4th IIRC and will runaway from a C14. Was at 12psi boost to get here but did reliably run 150rwhp on long distance tour. This was a very low budget bike built by a very knowledgeable old school dragracer

· Registered
68 Posts
I'm sorry, I know this is an old post, but I was reading through it and I thought I would want to add my own two cents. I agree 100% with original poster. I've been looking for more power and torque myself. I've tried reading other bikes like the Hayabusa, the BMW 1300 S, ZX 14. I love the power that those bikes had but we're just too uncomfortable for my 6'2, 280 pound frame. People have suggested trying out the Connie and also the BMW K 1600, but I don't want any more weight. I came from a VFR to the FJR and was really worried about the extra weight on the FJR. I certainly don't want to go any heavier than that.

The few mods that I have done to my 2006 FJR with a decent outcome are with a PC 5, K&N air filter, and delkevic slip-ons, I was able to reach 131 rwhp. Unfortunately, I got greedy and wanted to add headers to see if I can squeeze out anymore HP. I bought a set of used holeshot headers, and they didn't fit with a delkevic pipes. So I purchased a set of brand new holeshot pipes to go with the headers. I took it back to the Dyno and dropped to 125 HP at the rear wheel. Needless to say I was very disappointed with Dale Walker at holeshot. I would think with all the R&D that he is done that with aftermarket headers, he would at least be able to match the horsepower of the factory headers, and not go backwards.

Anyway just my 2 cents, if anybody knows of a better combination of aftermarket headers and pipes please let me know.

· Registered
149 Posts
That should tell you that, unlike Harleys, there is not a lot of bolt on power to be found in an FJR engine.
I would agree. If the OP wants to soup up his ride, who am I to question? I just traded my '06 Concours for a '15 FJR. I had modded the Connie to fit MY needs. The FJR will be getting some tweaks as well. I doubt mine will be performance-based, however. IMO however, sometimes people invest too much into making a screwdriver out of a hammer. After a certain point, you're better off with a different starting point.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
I went through the expense of buying a Nitrous Oxide setup for my FJR. I planned on getting some good ol manly-man extra HP outta her at the flip of a switch...

Unfortunately, I was going to do the install with my nephew during a big BBQ get together Fourth of July weekend that was attended by 20 local college kids.

A few burgers, a keg or two of beer... The football team's hefty defensive tackle lifting up the front of his shirt, flashing his ample gut and man boobs at the old gray haired church lady neighbor that lives next door.

The next thing you know, people are sucking on the end of the Nitrous bottle's hose, leading to a bunch of guys falling to the floor, giggling endlessly like a cackle of ditzy Cali school girls...

Totally (un)true story!

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Man! SOMEbody had a weird dream last night! :crylarf:
At least that one I could publicly talk about Liquid...

The other one that I dare not mention, involved a scantily clad female Aflac duck... Lying provocatively on a lounge chair... Sipping a Long Island ice tea... Whilst batting her long black eyelashes at a Mohawk wearing rooster that was walking poolside carrying a jar of Vaseline.

There was a Barry White song playing the background...

All I can say is that's the last time I eat an entire bag of Jalapeño potato chips right before bed time!

· Registered
748 Posts
I think you missed your calling Jared, you could of been a successful writer of children's books. Mix in a bag of fire hot Cheetos and you got a NOVEL in the making ! LMAO Joe >:)

Reactions: Odin

· Registered
1,063 Posts
I think you missed your calling Jared, you could of been a successful writer of children's books. Mix in a bag of fire hot Cheetos and you got a NOVEL in the making ! LMAO Joe >:)
Oh behave you barbarian you!!! (laughing)

A well penned Novella with a condiments slathered Subway subplot? It could work except for the underlying inferred Lolita pretext..

****, I don't like my Scotch to be less than 20 years old and even that's too young...

· Registered
748 Posts
Oh behave you barbarian you!!! (laughing)

A well penned Novella with a condiments slathered Subway subplot? It could work except for the underlying inferred Lolita pretext..

****, I don't like my Scotch to be less than 20 years old and even that's too young...
You've been off "kilter" for some time now, but we always welcome you back and hope the counselor's have tightened your belt. Remember the under garments at your 1st signing. I'm sure you don't want to go back any time soon. LMAO, Joe0:)

Reactions: Odin

· Registered
1,063 Posts
You've been off "kilter" for some time now, but we always welcome you back and hope the counselor's have tightened your belt. Remember the under garments at your 1st signing. I'm sure you don't want to go back any time soon. LMAO, Joe0:)
Ya know Joe, sometimes you can be downright cruel and insensitive to my man-feelings! (laughing)

· Registered
73 Posts
Just get an H2R or if ya wanna go a bit more exotic (er electric)...try a Lightning LS-218. The FJR is fast enough for what it is and hyping a sport-touring bike is not the path of enlightenment if you're going for really blinding speeds.

· Registered
8 Posts
Drag Racing an FJR

The FJR is geared too high to be a sprinter. My 08 has a 3.91 5th. gear and my 96 V-Max has a 4.7 gear. The Max is putting 117.5 hp to the ground and the FJR is putting 128 with a set of stainTunes. The FJR is making 90 ft. Lbs. to the tire and the Max is only making 78. Minus the bags their weight is very close. The Max will eat the FJR in high gear roll ons from 50mph. The max has cams that measure 241 degrees at 1 mm lift and the cams in the FJR only have 230 degrees. If my FJR had the same gear ratio as my Max I would have had WEB cams ground me a set of cams years ago but bigger cams would kill the FJR on the bottom end with the tall gear that it has. Yamaha had an opportunity to make the first 5 gears lower when they came out with the 6 speed transmission but for some reason choose not to because most folks who buy FJRs just like to cruise and keep the RPM below 4,000 rpm. If Yamaha came out with a 150 hp 1400 cc FJR and a 6 speed with the first 5 gears geared lower in a bike the same weight as mine I would buy one tomorrow but that's not going to happen. Most people just want more farkle's and electronic doo dads and so I'll just have to hang on to my old 08 model with it's analog tach and speedo for a while longer.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.