FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had to dissasemble my 05's glove box to retrieve my phone and wallet. A small plastic part in the latch broke. This part is not sold seperately. The whole box needed to be replaced (not cheap). The dealier(not where I purchased the bike) Has ordered me a new glove box under warranty. Has this happened to anyone eles? :?
Larry

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes. And frankly the latch is poorly designed in that the pieces are plastic and the stricker and latch bar at least should be made of metal. But what I found was that if I simply eliminated the electric solenoid that prevents it from being unlatched unless the key is on and trany in neutral, the latch works much easier and is not as likely to break. Admittably, I now can't secure the glove box when leaving the bike unattended but I seldom have anything of real value in there anyway. And if somebody wants in to the box, their going to get in anyway. With or without the lock.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Sharkey said:
But what I found was that if I simply eliminated the electric solenoid that prevents it from being unlatched unless the key is on and trany in neutral, the latch works much easier and is not as likely to break. Admittably, I now can't secure the glove box when leaving the bike unattended but I seldom have anything of real value in there anyway. And if somebody wants in to the box, their going to get in anyway. With or without the lock.
The '06 can be opened whenever the key is on, regardless of gear. Agree that I wouldn't put the family jewels in there anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree. I never leave valuable items there. It is just a handy place for transport and easy access. I also keep my maintance and fuel log in there.
The part that broke didn't have anything to do with the solinoid. I don't believe. There is a small tapered pin that is pushed down into a slot. Which pushes the latch shaft back. When the release pad is depressed. I believe that what ever little piece of plastic used to hold This pin in place is what broke my (theory). The pin got stuck in the open position and the lid would not latch closed. Had to tape it closed. I will know for sure after I have taken apart the new one for a look see. should be here Tuesday.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Gary at University sells 'em for around fifty bucks. I scratched the bajeepers outta my lid, but the first thing I did to the box was to pull the solenoid - that was on the second day I had the bike. Stupid concept, IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts