Fjrowners.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 (gen 1) FJR. I need to install one of those bridge toll RFID tags. It's about 1" wide by 4" long. The adhesive that came with the tag won't stick to the 'dash'. Anybody ever install one and where did you put it. It would be nice if it didn't stick out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I keep my EZ-Pass in the glove box (I can't remember at the moment if the 2003 has one). I've never had a problem with it being scanned. I just open the glove box top before rolling through the toll plaza.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Ron,

I commuted in the Bay Area for years on my ZR-7S. Used to keep my FasTrak transponder in my front jacket pocket. It would scan fine, but the cameras would get confused and I was constantly being charged a full toll as if I was a multi-axled truck with a trailer. After several complaints to FasTrak I had a customer service guy tell me to keep the transponder with me, but in the protective RFID bag so it wouldnt scan. The cameras just deducted the toll from my account based on my license plate and I never had an issue after that.

Hope you can get it sorted out. Commuting in the Bay Area on a bike was the best!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've not had luck with the transponder in the glove box (doesn't read). It's in my jacket pocket.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Keep my ez pass on the inside of my windshield down low with two velcro strips. I only put it on when I anticipate tolls. If not stays in the jacket pocket. :grin2:

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have a suction cupped holder that I got at a toll plaza Rest stop that I keep mine in, it allows me to be able to move it from vehicle to vehicle and on my fjr I locate it low on the windshield just above the dash in it’s lowest position. Works fine for me, it’s an ez-pass.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I put the Velcro strips for the EZ Pass on my tank bag. If I’m not riding toll roads I keep the pass inside the tank bag.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Ron, I had (have) the same issue - I was told they mount to the license plate, but they completely forgot to take in to account motorcycles have smaller plates. Anyway, I bought a dash shelf and mounted the transponder using L Brackets to the shelf. As the shelf mounts to the FJR non-destructively, it was no harm to the bike. It was behind the windshield, but I never had any issues using both the tour and the stock windshield in all types of weather. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Mount it on your helmet. That way you take it with you whenever you are off the bike.

Reactions: AzorRon

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have my ezpass mounted inside my left saddle bag. Same orientation as if it were on a windshield and in the front/forward surface. Never a problem being read.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure which transponder you have that did not stick to the dash. I have an EZ Pass and used these replacement strips so I can relocate the transponder to the car. These strips should stick to anything.

Replacement 3M post/adhesive strips:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ-PASS-I-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I mounted the transponder on the flat spot on the fairing just above the battery.

I use this cover so the white device is not so painfully obvious.

Black rubber cover:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ-Pass-IP...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Just make sure your license plate is registered with the bridge toll (taxing) authority. Then forget about mounting the RFiD tag, the computers will automatically read your license and charge your account. Some years ago, all these toll pass RFiD's didn't capture many of the people going through the toll, thus loss of revenue. Cameras and recognition software were more expensive but have a near 100% hit rate. If your plate is mounted above and behind in the rear wheel cavity (as I've seen on many sportbikes for this reason) then your plate won't be read (of course not on the FJR ;> ).

Reactions: RERJr

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just make sure your license plate is registered with the bridge toll (taxing) authority. Then forget about mounting the RFiD tag, the computers will automatically read your license and charge your account. Some years ago, all these toll pass RFiD's didn't capture many of the people going through the toll, thus loss of revenue. Cameras and recognition software were more expensive but have a near 100% hit rate. If your plate is mounted above and behind in the rear wheel cavity (as I've seen on many sportbikes for this reason) then your plate won't be read (of course not on the FJR ;> ).
The only issue with that is for tolls that accept EZPass but have toll gates. My bike is registered but if the RFID doesnt get read you've got to wait for a toll attendant to lift the gate. I had this happen this fall trying to get over the Bear Mtn bridge over the Hudson. I had to dig the EZPass out of the rear bag, the attendant took it into the booth to check it and then came back and said, "don't know why it didn't work". I'm sure that the people (NYers) in the line of traffic behind me were very understanding....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same experience at the Bear Mtn bridge three summers ago, shortly before I got the FJR. That spot didn't read the RFID even when I was waving it around.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
The only issue with that is for tolls that accept EZPass but have toll gates. My bike is registered but if the RFID doesnt get read you've got to wait for a toll attendant to lift the gate. I had this happen this fall trying to get over the Bear Mtn bridge over the Hudson. I had to dig the EZPass out of the rear bag, the attendant took it into the booth to check it and then came back and said, "don't know why it didn't work". I'm sure that the people (NYers) in the line of traffic behind me were very understanding....
Quite right my friend. NYS is strange and lacking in their installation of plate ID'ing cameras. Bear mountain bridge is one of them. High throughput tolls have them in NYS but not low throughput where the RFiD is needed. I have my ezpass in the glovebox mounted under the lid, stay in the middle of the lane, glovebox lid open, and many times still does not read. I have to detach it from the lid, hold it above my head and it reads it. I like an earlier post about mounting it to one's helmet, but I prob won't be doing that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts