FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody used these for breakdown cover: NCI at http://www.ncionline.co.uk/

I used them last year but (thankfully) did not need to call them out. It's time for renewal and I wondered if anyone had any experience of them and their service.

Renewal quote has just come through for £70. Includes me in the car as well as the bike.

What other breakdown covers can people recommend?

Cheers.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just a thought, and I know its another area that has been subject to much discussion --INSURANCE but Carole NAsh gives breakdown cover in Uk and abroad inclusive.

I have my bike and car together on their OMNI policy that gives 365days uk cover and 90 days european cover each.

Tim

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It is the Insurers inclusive that gives the best deal in most cases I think.

I did a personal cover with RAC for me and the wife, but I needed to cover both of us, two cars and three bikes, plus of course it covers any vehicle you are on/in.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Use one of the bike specific recovery companies, most definately not the AA who left my wife stranded in the dark by the road in Hackney for three and a half hours - well until she gave up & got the bike going herself, with the help of passers by.
I was also left late one evening by the AA who didnt have the ability to recover a bike because they didnt have anyone with a bike trailer on duty; my dealer came out next day & got the bike for me, luckily it was parked under CCTV so was still there for them to collects after a night in a car park.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Used the RAC when we had a puncture in the Highlands last year, and after we had finally got them to understand where we were (The A82 didn't appear on the telephone operators computer screen - how many roads are there between Fort William and Glasgow? :roll: ) a standard transit van turned up and the bike was manually heaved up a ramp into the back. It was well tied down etc, but the next time we had another of our many punctures we called the free service supplied by Carole Nash. A special bike recovery van pitched up equipped complete with an hydraulic lift at the back, so no precarious manhandling involved. Only a small thing, but the 'free' service gets my vote.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nearly forgot about the time a few years back when I broke down on my Hornet & they actually did turn up with a trailer but the contractor wouldnt push the bike on because it was to heavy for him - he had expected it to be running (not sure why I would have called for recovery if it had been!!) managed to do it myself in the end.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Having worked as a police motorway controller I would give neither the AA or the RAC house room. They are always the slowest to respond, 9/10 times turn up with the wrong type of vehicle to assist, and at best, get you to a place of safety, which if you have basic membership, is the nearest side of the road off a motorway or a dealers door...even in the middle of the night. Albeit they give you the use of a phone to get family involved Etc.
Insurance recovery is probably better, never had to use it for a breakdown, but used it once when involved in an accident in Holland. Carole Nash (although not perfect) had my bike home before my other personal insurance Co. had me home!!
A mate was insured with NIC and had an accident, and I was left to deal with them on the phone, they just could not compute if you did not have a post code!! The actual road number meant nothing to them...slowed things down by hours...not so good when we were stuck in the middle of nowhere near Kelso. But they did send assistance eventually (4 hours) and got his bike home, but it HAD to be accompanied, by me, coz he was in hospital.
Would be ideal if we could get it all in one policy...Fully comprehensive, travel, breakdown and personal accident, but at what cost?

Personally I use GEM http://www.motoringassist.com/affiliates/intro.shtml

A non profit making road safety organisation, but their prices have risen in the last few years. It used to be a spectacular deal. Great thing about it is, you can choose who recovers you, send them the bill, and they send a cheque by return post, or phone them on a freephone number and let them sort it out. Maybe not everybodies cup of tea, but works for me. Covers any vehicle you happen to be in/on and also covers hotel for 5 and hire car costs...worth a look. Also worth thinking about carrying a blank cheque in the car and on the bike...just in case...belt and braces I know, but has served me in the past.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts