FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there tried that throttle lock from Breakaway Products? Online it looks very nice(and pricey). One is specific to FJR. Maybe someone in the shop is an FJR rider... I just ordered one and I'll post results next week.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Breakaway throttle lock

I used Throttlemeisters for years. Thried the Breakaway and will never go back. If you ride a lot the Breakaway is so well designed and works so well, it is worth the cost -- at least for me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I bought and installed the breakaway on a Honda VTX 1800 and it worked great. Then I purchased a 2006 FJR and bought and installed the Breakaway on it. I hated it! It works like a champ but the ol FJR has so much zip it was hard to get it locked exactly where I wanted it. For example, I would lock it on the interstate at 75MPH and it would go up to 85 or down to 65. It doesnt take much of a turn of the wrist to make the FJR change speeds. I now have the 07FJR and opted for the throttle boss for now.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Dockjekyll said:
I bought and installed the breakaway on a Honda VTX 1800 and it worked great. Then I purchased a 2006 FJR and bought and installed the Breakaway on it. I hated it! It works like a champ but the ol FJR has so much zip it was hard to get it locked exactly where I wanted it. For example, I would lock it on the interstate at 75MPH and it would go up to 85 or down to 65. It doesnt take much of a turn of the wrist to make the FJR change speeds. I now have the 07FJR and opted for the throttle boss for now.
I initially installed mine on my Sprint ST and it was great. Moved it to the FJR and love it there too. Like Dockjekyll says it getting it set is a pain, but, I DID get right on my FJR. It just takes some fiddling around. I have had Vista's and NEP's but no matter how much I fiddled with them I could never get them right. Throttlemeister worked well too BUT it was a real clumsy way of setting them. The BrakeAway is just push the button (when you get it set right).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wanted to get the break away lock but they don't make one for factory heated grips so I need to find something else.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why on earth would you want to spend $210 on a throttle lock (marketed as a cruise control? Paaalease) when for about half the money you can install a true cruise control that holds the speed within + or - 1 mph up hills, down hills. Admittedly it looks pretty. But done properly and with a little ingenuity, the AudioVox after market cruise control will return far more satisfaction. And so far after 4 years of use and 82,000 miles it's still working great. Research the site for many examples of the install.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does the audiovox cruise control have a particular name or anything? Is it hard to install? Work with heated grips?

·
Premium Member
FJR1300 A, TMax 530 DX, Tracer GT900, XS850
281 Posts
The audiovox is called the Audiovox CCS100. I had it it on my 04 FJR - easy enough to install and works really well IMO.

I now have an 07 and the layout under the seat is completely different, no room for the audiovox any more. I had to fit the McCruise unit instead which costs a fortune.

I don't know whether anyone has totally successfully fitted the CCS to an 06 or later, but for the pre 06 model it is one of the best (for the money) improvements you can make. It also significantly reduces your fuel consumption.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've heard of guys having problems with the audiovox when installing them on AE models. And since I have a 07 AE I hear I would have even more problems finding room to put everything. I need to get something though because my right hand goes numb after 20 miles and my wrist and hand start to throb, and yes I've tried loosening my grip, putting less weight on my hands and making sure my arm is slightly bent but nothing helps.

·
Registered
351 Posts
poorboy said:
I've heard of guys having problems with the audiovox when installing them on AE models. And since I have a 07 AE I hear I would have even more problems finding room to put everything. I need to get something though because my right hand goes numb after 20 miles and my wrist and hand start to throb, and yes I've tried loosening my grip, putting less weight on my hands and making sure my arm is slightly bent but nothing helps.
This is deja vu all over again because I think I posted this before. A friend worked with Murph at Murphskits who is a distributor for the audiovox. They tried everything but it boiled down to certain Gen II FJR's have problems getting the audiovox to work. Others are a snap and have no trouble at all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No I haven't done any of this, I guess I better try this stuff. One question, what is grip puppies? Is that one of those things that wrap around the throttle and you rest your palm on it when going down the road? My dealership flat out was against putting a throttle meister on, they said they have had no good luck with them. They also told me the breakaway unit would work but I would have to disconnect the heated grips and do the work myself since the product said not to install on a bike with heated girps.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
My throttlemeister works great as a throttle lock,not a cruise control.

The grip puppies are a foam type sleeve that fits over the grip. It adds to the diameter of the grip thus making it easier to modulate the throttle with the side benefit of absobing vibrations.

You can google it for places to buy. You might also try CalSport Touring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts