FJR Owners Forum banner

Brass Valve Stems

4K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Mr_Ed 
#1 ·
Has anyone used these valve stems? Thinking it would be a great way to upgrade to metal stems before adding FOBO or the like without dismounting the tire.

Light Product Blue Font Kitchen appliance

Colby Valves

See less See more
#3 ·
what keeps a standard valve stem in the rim? a couple notches in a rubber stem.
I've never seen those before but looks interesting.
I like 90 degree valve stems and still looking for a good INTERNAL tpms system that's not hooked up to a phone.

#4 ·
Compression fittings. I have no issues running valve cap style tpms on normal short rubber stems. How many people ran dice valve caps on long rubber stems as kids. Never heard of a failure and the tpms caps are not measurably heavier than the metal caps that come with balance beads kits.

#8 ·
Just one data point, I did have a rubber stem crack with the TPMS sensor on it on my '06. Lost front tire pressure on the highway. Luckily got pulled over before it was completely flat (TPMS warning was helpful). Since then, I've always used metal stems. My '16 has the metal T-stems with FOBO as installed by the previous owner. YRMV.

#5 ·
I had FOBO on straight stems for a while. Giant PITA! I can't imagine putting them on short or extra short ones. From my experience- do yourself a favor and get some Hawks Head Tee valves. They make dealing with the FOBO so much easier.

#6 ·
I don't run the locking nuts, so the sensors come off like a normal cap.

#7 ·
IMHO still a PITA. I prefer not removing the sensors at all. The added benefit is using the FOBO to show me the air pressure when airing up rather than using a separate pressure gauge.

To each his/her/its own, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.

Reactions: 2014oldred
#10 ·
I have not tried the Colby Valve Stems, but I see that Amazon sells them. Colby has no retailers in my state.

The big question for me is "Do they fit in my rims?" What size are the valve stem holes in the FJR rims?

Colby has an Emergency version (no tools) that could save the day if a regular valve stem fails in any way. I can see adding a set to the tool kit, even if it just "saves" another rider one day.

Reactions: Bill Lumberg
#11 ·
I used regular old 412 valve stems when I put the new tires on my FJR - so I would say that the holes are the normal 0.453 Inch 11.5mm

#12 ·
A buddy of mine lost a tire on his Goldwing because he installed FOBOs on rubber stems and the stem broke. The caveat is that he didn't use new stems.
I've tried to use the FOBO to set tire pressure but the refresh rate is too slow. It's much easier to use a pressure gauge.
I installed my sensors on T valves. Really works well.

#15 ·
My bikes have larger rotors making it almost impossible to check air. I put these in every bike with tubeless tires.

View attachment 81393

I would never mess with those compression fitting type, no way.
What is your source for these. I got some chineseium aluminums but I'm too chicken to ride on them.

I'd love these in American brass.

#14 ·
from time to time something new comes along...................................seldom out of need

usually out of ease & convenience

many times NOT thoroughly tested

knocks off have been proliferating for years in many diff tyles & colors

some with merit

others a 1/2 step away from disaster

a afailure a speed on the hiway could end up with more than road eash

not a fan of TPMS

many hi perf vehicles run 45 - 90 degree valve stems installed properly

out of merit they reduce the inherent G forces at elevated speeds

peg items can be sucker bait

#16 ·
The compression ones might be OK but that makes me nervous..... T-stems for me. Aluminum 83 degree OK also. Straight stems, no.

Story time... when I was in the auto biz, the workers would steal the aluminum caps off the (internal) TPMS sensors, then put them on their car for a little bling. After a while, if you needed to add some air to your tires, oops, they wouldn't come off..... brass and aluminum hate each other, lol. Anyway, my job was to get extra caps from the TPMS supplier........

Reactions: Bill Lumberg
#17 ·
..... brass and aluminum hate each other
Roger that
I'd love these *90 deg in American stainless or Yamaha quality aluminum.

My short straight rubber vucanized to brass stem, delaminated a year ago. Thankfully it happened in the driveway while doing my preflight inspection and tire pressure check. the whole brass core slipped right out of the rubber nipple... no riding that week.

Perhaps God was telling me to get a new nosewheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.