FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was following the instructions from the FJRTech site on how to change front brake pads. This is a quote from the instructions :
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"After these steps, you can remove brass colored cover plate, and you should be faced with something that looks like the photo above -- the brakes with the cover plate off. The pads can be removed by pulling up on them in the direction indicated by the green arrow.

Insert the new pads in the place of the old pads. Be sure to orient the pads so that the brake material mates with the rotor! Otherwise, you'll have no braking power (see death warning above).

Next, snap the brass covered cover back in place, being sure to orient the arrow on the cover (indicated by the red circle in the photo below) towards the front of the bike. Then, replace the retaining pin to hold the cover in place. Finally, put the pin retaining clips back in place. If you lose one, DON'T ignore it - get a replacement before riding the bike! Remember, these are your BRAKES."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When i removed the retaining pin, i didn't have to remove the brass covered plate because it kind of just popped off as i pulled the retaining pin out.
Now, when i installed the new pads, i couldn't SNAP the brass covered back plate in place as the instructions says. I had to kind of put pressure on the brass backing plate in order to put the retaing pin back in place.

Just wondered if i screwed up this brake pad change. I went for a short ride and the brakes works fine. I did orient the arrows on the brass plate towards the front of the bike as the instructuon said.
The instructions from FJRTech is throwing me off because it said i have to remove the brass plate( where mine just kind of jumped off as i pulled the pin out) and that i should snap the brass plate back on ( where i had to hold the brass plate with pressure in order to put the pin back in place).
What do you guys think, am i good to go?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Cary G said:
What do you guys think, am i good to go?
Snap, Slide or Shuffle, does it matter which way you got it in?

It is your front brakes you are talking about, THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR BIKE.
If you not are 110% sure that you can rely on it GET IT CHECKED OUT BY A PROFFESSIONAL

Your life depends on it!!

Never trust advice you are given on the net when it comes to life support systems, like brakes.

Just my 2p

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
When you remove the pin, they do ping off as they are under tension

When replacing, no, they don't 'snap' as such. Applying pressure to the centre of the plate in order to push the pin thru was correct and a more precise description.

Always put the pads back where they came from, as they will be unevenly worn.

I think that you are ok - if you are really worried, pop round to your dealer or take a pic and post here for confirmation

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rabbit1300,
I went to check things over and everything looks okay. From what you described that's exactly what i encountered. I can't see how the brass plate could be snapped on.
Maybe the instructions on the FJRTech site for the "Brake Pad Change" needs to be updated. The " Brake Pad Change" instructions was for a NON ABS '03 FJR. Mine is a '04 ABS FJR, maybe the brass plate is different on a '03 NON ABS FJR.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Re:Brass plates

Theres two types of brass plates on the front brake pads.
The anti rattle plate, that you thread the Brake pad retaing pin thru, and a plate that 'Snaps' on the back side of EACH pad, between the Pad and
brake pistons.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Cary, The anti rattle plates on the non ABS are exactly the same. Compress into place and push the pin through. (but it's stainless, not brass :wink:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for setting things straight for me. I misinterpreted the instructions, my fault. :oops:
I replaced my stock pads with the EBC double H pads which came with their own metal backing plates. That's why it never even crossed my mind to take the brass plates off the old pads and 'snap' back on the new EBC pads.
After reading Marshman's and James1300's advice, the instructions makes sense now. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts