FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have goofed.
03' FJR, just installed Carbone Lorraine front pads.
As I was 'cleaning up', the shop.
I noticed a thin metal plate clipped to the back of the stock Yamaha pads.
Is this an anti-rattle or squeel plate?
Theres one on each brake pad.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Don't worry about it, the pads will work equally well without them, keep the shims just in case the pads start to squeal, but hardly worth stripping it down just to replace them.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Is it possible they are wear indicator plates - do they have a protruding tab that touches the rotor when the pad is worn down to replacement thickness.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Think I remember reading somewhere that these perforated metal plates are put there to help prevent brake fade by reducing the amount of heat transferred from the pad to the piston (particularly with sintered pads).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Don't worry about it - you'll have to take the calipers off again soon anyway - to replace your worn out rotors after using very hard aftermarket pads..... :lol:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Rabbit1300 said:
Don't worry about it - you'll have to take the calipers off again soon anyway - to replace your worn out rotors after using very hard aftermarket pads..... :lol:
Don't know where this story keeps coming from, but I have always used aftermarket pads on every one of my bikes and I have yet to replace a worn disc.

That said, given how much better good aftermarket pads brake compared to the shite that's put on OEM, I'd rather spend €500 every 50.000km on a set of discs than to end up 1m short in an emergency.

·
Registered
141 Posts
marshman said:
Think I remember reading somewhere that these perforated metal plates are put there to help prevent brake fade by reducing the amount of heat transferred from the pad to the piston (particularly with sintered pads).
This is correct. That, and to prevend squeeling. Most aftermarket pads have a special ceramic coating on the back for those same reasons, and don't need the shim. Some brands even specifically tell you to leave the shim out.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Not a story afterburn, something I remember from the old site. One of our members did have to replace his discs quite quickly after using very hard pads. His stopping power was fantastic but he was very surprised at the speed in which his discs wore out.

So, each to their own I suppose, but whilst safety is always first consideration in my book, we all can't afford to keep replacing discs as well - just giving this owner a heads up that's all......

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
afterburn said:
.....the shite that's put on OEM
TBH the OEM pads performed very well. Tried EBC HH and Carbone Lorraines and there wasn't a lot to choose between any of them, either on the stock discs or the Galfer Waves.
The bike currently has PFM ductile iron rotors which need a soft compound pad so am using Ferodo Platinums, and to date the set up is performing well, rain or shine.

Incidentally, a year or so ago UK's Ride magazine did a test on brake pads, and surprisingly enough in many cases the OEM's were found to perform as well, if not better than the aftermarket items.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
marshman said:
in many cases the OEM's were found to perform as well, if not better than the aftermarket items.
Agree. My bike stops great, so does the R1 and I've had it at the track as well and it stops very hard, very predictably. FJR does too. I'll be replacing with the OEM pads when it's time if only because I know they work well and don't tear up the rotors.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had OEM. they were mushy, required a lot of force and were hard to control due to that.

I had EBC HH+, same story as OEM. Replaced and dumped them in the bin after 1000km.

I now have DP Sport HH+ and they are rock hard, brake really hard and do not need a lot of force. Consequently they are easier to modulate and control. Very real performance upgrade over OEM.

And they don't wear out discs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.