FJR Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 US import and it has a flashing brake light. I cannot see a modulator is fitted. So is this standard? Can I remove the flashing brake light to comply with UK regulations?

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
There must be a modulator. Remove left side panel and under the seat tray there is a 6-way connector (only 5 wires) where the rear lighting harness is connected to the main harness. Sometimes that is the favourite spot to connect aux. rear lighting. Blue wire is tail light, yellow is brake light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had all the covers off. Cable comes straight from the rear cluster and plugs in. No modulator in sight. Loom is still nicely taped right up to the socket, so no modulator fitted before the socket. Wondering if there is a modulating bulb that I’m not aware of. Or does the US version have a different software that makes brake light flash?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Had all the covers off. Cable comes straight from the rear cluster and plugs in. No modulator in sight. Loom is still nicely taped right up to the socket, so no modulator fitted before the socket. Wondering if there is a modulating bulb that I'm not aware of. Or does the US version have a different software that makes brake light flash?
Negative, it is not a feature on the US models for flashing brake lights.
There has to be an aftermarket add on by the previous owner.
Keep diggin'....

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Modulating bulbs are rare, FJR has two brake light bulbs but for them to flash equally at the same time, doubt you have them. Follow the harness to the tail along the left subframe rail, there may be something tapped in there.... maybe right in the tail.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Personally I would change the bulbs before I got to deep into it. I use(d) the superbrite leds and for whatever reason seemed to flash in unison, just lucky I guess. But I’d replace the bulbs . You can pull the bulb harness’s out and just leave them out so you can see them easily to see the results.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I put brake lights on my 2013 that modulate when activated. No external modulator needed. Just change them out to regular brake lights, 1157 I think

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Alrighty then, I didn't know there was so many strobing bulbs out there...

·
Registered
246 Posts
There must be a modulator. Remove left side panel and under the seat tray there is a 6-way connector (only 5 wires) where the rear lighting harness is connected to the main harness. Sometimes that is the favourite spot to connect aux. rear lighting. Blue wire is tail light, yellow is brake light.
That is where I put my modulator

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, Thanks guys for all your help.
Seems that my FJR had 'incandescent modulating bulbs' fitted to the rear lights. (I'd never heard of them till now)
Somehow they worked in perfect unison.
So after taking the side of the bike apart first (silly boy lol) and definitely finding NO modulator anywhere, I took a bulb out and put power to it.
And guess what? It started flashing when both the filaments were powered at the same time.
New bulbs coming today :)
Lesson for today.... Check the easy/obvious options first. lmao
Thanks again all

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Naked, I would also suggest you add your general location and bike model/year to your profile, it’ll help us help you on any future problems, just a suggestion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts