FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to swap out the brake fluid on my USA 2004 with ABS. I have scoured the Yamaha service book+ABS supplement and see no indication of whether front or rear brake lines should be flushed first. Yet I seem to recall on this forum there was a definite preference for doing the fronts first, then the rears (do I recall correctly?). Is that indeed correct, and what is the reason for any such ordering?
...damocles

·
Registered
113 Posts
I did the fronts first on my '04 abs, but only because they were easier. The rear requies panel removal to get to the fluid reservoir is all. No special process for the abs, just bleed as you would normally. Don't forget to do the clutch system while you're at it.

FWIW, I used a vacuum bleeder when I did mine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
brske fluid change

on a car or truck , where all 4 brakes share the same master cylinder, it is common practice to bleed the rears first , since the brake lines are longer there; containing more fluid.. The fronts are done last, shorter lines....On a motorcycle with linked brakes, the distance from front to rear is marginal.. should not really matter which you bleed first..More important is to make sure the master cylinder does not run DRY [ suck air}.. then your F-cked [ wasted time ]..... Enjoy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pending said:
The ABS supplemental manual states to bleed the front calipers before the rear. Left caliper 1st, then right.
What page, please? I guess I need to look again!
...damocles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all. I finally had time to page through the Supplemental manual carefully and found the bleeding sequence. Did the job this weekend, clutch fluid as well, and am very happy. But still why the fronts first? Because the plumbing is longer? What ever...fronts first it is!
...damocles

·
Registered
31 Posts
****NO WORRIES, I GOT IT SORTED AND THE FRONT BRAKES SUCCESSFULLY BLED. CHEERS******

Anyone have a pic of the right front caliper which shows which bleed nipple is linked to the rear brake ?? Is it the one that points 'up' and is unique to the right front caliper ??

Thanks !

8) 8) :ale:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts