FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally bought a new FJR. My first FJR / Sport Bike.

Looking forward to adding Helibar risers and a new RDL, changing out the windscreen for a larger one (suggestions welcome, I'm 6'2") adding crash/dropped it bars ~ just in case. Come up with some additional and flashing rear lights. Clearwater lights up front. A large topcase (Givi?) with running / break lights if available, Mirror extensions (anyone have a link for that), Bark Busters and a few smaller add ons. Always open to suggestions, except about oil! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Why not ride it for a thousand miles to think about what you really need? You just may like it as is.

·
Premium Member
2008 FJR/AE
199 Posts
Like the others, I would do things one at a time, as need identifies, and do it to YOUR liking. Everyone will have an opinion, but your body will tell you.

Reactions: JPLeB

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Finally bought a new FJR. My first FJR / Sport Bike.

Looking forward to adding Helibar risers and a new RDL, changing out the windscreen for a larger one (suggestions welcome, I'm 6'2") adding crash/dropped it bars ~ just in case. Come up with some additional and flashing rear lights. Clearwater lights up front. A large topcase (Givi?) with running / break lights if available, Mirror extensions (anyone have a link for that), Bark Busters and a few smaller add ons. Always open to suggestions, except about oil! :cool:
congrats on your new bike, excellent choice (I had two FJR's over 10yrs period) (y)
here some suggestions:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I too bought a new (to me 2018) FJR and it came with a few options that you mentioned. I am 6'1" and the Yamaha touring w/s works great. I love the look and size of the Yamaha top case. I had installed a set of handguards for a VSTROM on my 2006 FJR and they fit and look oem, cuz they are, but for a Suzuki. Excellent weather protection as well. I will add a set of bar risers over this winter and have the seats redone by Seth Laam. I find the stock seat horribly uncomfortable after 100 miles. Enjoy! Jevers

·
Registered
574 Posts
Great idea on the seat. I have a Russell sport saddle and it's not bad and does fit the FJR better but the Russell Day Long is a wee bit more comfortable on my 79 year old fanny. Have the Day Long on my BMW and like it.:) I also think the tip over bars are a good idea to protect those beautiful side cases. Only other thing I would add is a set of handle bare risers not set backs just risers about one inch. Notice front tip over bar in pix. Speaking of the BMW I wish BMW would make a set of wheels for the FJR. The stock wheels are just boat anchors!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
4,165 Posts
The three "standard" ergo mods for someone our size or taller are: some kind of riser plate to move the handlebars up and back, a better windshield, and a better seat. My suggestion, like several posters above, is to ride the bike a thousand miles, then fix what bothers you the most. Then repeat until you have fixed everything you cannot live with.

Me? I have a few "good enough" solutions. I have a Yamaha Touring windshield, great price ($105) considering when I bought it (late 2014) and a SeatConcepts seat (group buy, 30% discount). Not an RDL or Laam, but it is a good 400 - 500 mile a day seat. Previous owner fitted an MCL riser plate to reposition the handlebars on my barely used 2013.

Skene LEDs up front, Admore light bar in back, and 3M reflective film on the saddlebags.
Reflective Decals for Yamaha FJR1300 Rear Bags – Black Hills Moto, virtually invisible during the day and unmistakable at night. Dual PIAA horns to replace the single, anemic horn MamaYama fitted from 2013 on.

My signature has a link to a guide on removing the Series III tupperware.

·
Registered
2021 FJR
225 Posts
I bought my 2021 new in April of that year and now have 18,733 miles on it. All I have done to it are T-Rex bars, Grip Puppies, and an Air Hawk seat pad. I finally got the Air Hawk figured out. I let out most of the air and pull it pretty fall forward so I am sitting to the rear of it. I did 528 miles on it last Tuesday and no butt burn.

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES/2022 FJR1300ES
3,532 Posts
I’ve got clearwaters. But I still think about adding the skenes, because of the flicker, and because they’ll ore into my admore plug and play harness.
The three "standard" ergo mods for someone our size or taller are: some kind of riser plate to move the handlebars up and back, a better windshield, and a better seat. My suggestion, like several posters above, is to ride the bike a thousand miles, then fix what bothers you the most. Then repeat until you have fixed everything you cannot live with.

Me? I have a few "good enough" solutions. I have a Yamaha Touring windshield, great price ($105) considering when I bought it (late 2014) and a SeatConcepts seat (group buy, 30% discount). Not an RDL or Laam, but it is a good 400 - 500 mile a day seat. Previous owner fitted an MCL riser plate to reposition the handlebars on my barely used 2013.

Skene LEDs up front, Admore light bar in back, and 3M reflective film on the saddlebags.
Reflective Decals for Yamaha FJR1300 Rear Bags – Black Hills Moto, virtually invisible during the day and unmistakable at night. Dual PIAA horns to replace the single, anemic horn MamaYama fitted from 2013 on.

My signature has a link to a guide on removing the Series III tupperware.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts