FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Currently my FJR is in for repair after an accident.
Some debate between the engineer/his superiors wether its a write-off or not. Essentially repairs are 77.5% of the bikes value & have been told its an automatic write-off if the repairs get to 80% of the value of the bike.

Engineer reported the bike is worth £3500, which I disagree with completely.
Is there anywhere I can find the book price for my bike? (Apart from trawling private ads?)

01' model
Black
8000 miles on the clock
FSH
Only mod is yamaha Heated grips.
Was pristine before the accident, not even a scratch on it.

After the accident, front fairing smashed, scratches to RHFairing & error 33 on the ECU (bike sounds like its firing on 3 cylinders)
Bike is currently with the engineer awaiting autorisation of the repairs.

My own current guessstimate of the bikes value pre-accident is circa £6K.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
From thge Parker Price guide.

Yamaha Fjr1300 2001/Y

Original Price £ 9599
Independent Dealer £ 6680
Private Good £ 5710
Private Poor £ 4410
Part Exchange £ 5165

and @8000 miles I would put yours as a nice one.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
When my old bike was written off in August :( we came to an agreed value of £3600.

It was an 01 model (but on an 02 plate) with 86,000 miles on the clock, one owner from new, full dealer service history etc etc.
Can't recall exactly what the assessor said at the time, but his book value for an 02 was getting towards the £6k mark, but that was with something like 10,000 miles on the clock.

Was reasonably happy as I had found an 01 (but with a VIN number that showed it was 600 later off the production line than mine) with 70,000 on the clock for £3500 at a dealer in Bournemouth.

Sounds like the engineer might be undervaluing yours a bit, but mine was Blue, so perhaps that made a difference :wink:

Print some of these ads from Bike Trader (click here) to take with you next time you go and see them. Seems that dealers want about £5500 for an 01 with 15,000 on the clock, so yours should be worth that at least.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Most insurers/loss adjusters try to flannel you with "market value", I had this problem with a car claim several years ago, and another on my wifes' at one time. Note well, your insurance value on your documents is likely to be market value.

The whole point is - market value - and the dictionary definition of it - which clearly states the cost of replacement in the open market at todays values and what you will have to pay for another one with similar mileage etc.

I suppose there has to be some sort of compromise somewhere in all cases (which is what I had to do), because you can buy private and dealer, which of course there is a difference. That's where the compromise comes in, depending on how much you are willing to argue. You can always threaten with the insurance ombudsman.

With my car, I trawled the internet finding private and dealer ads, plus Parkers etc, to prove the market value of the car and in the end, I got considerably more than their original offer.

Stick to your guns, provide evidence and try to be be patient.

·
Registered
103 Posts
if the accident was not your fault you can insist that the bike is returned to it's pre accident condition, it may take a while as the insurance company will drag the claim out but you are quite within your rights to do this.
HOW?

when you sign up to an insurance contract there will be a clause that states if the damage is beyond economical repair they will right it off, BUT if the damage is not your fault you have agreed no such contract with a third partys insurance company so you are within your rights to reject the right off valuation and demand that it is repaired to pre accident condition.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dunno.

The engineer said he could fix it but the company who authorises the payments were not playing ball. I kept complaining at them and they decided to authorise the repairs.

Looking forward to getting the FJR back.
The VFR I have (on loan) atm is no where near as comfy/fast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts