FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a sign of advancing age, I tore my ACL (ligament) in my right knee while putting my FJR on it's centerstand. :cry:
(Good timing: we got lots of snow overnight :) )
The bike tipped against my car and the mirror snapped at the bolt inside the rubber cover.
No other damage :lol:
It is easy enough to replace the bolt with a 1/4" or M6 x 1", but is it wise?
The brass bolt seemed to be intended to shear off, so should I use a brass replacement bolt and drill it under the head to make it weaker.
To replace the whole mirror seems excessive.

I am sure one of you knowledgeable lot knows .....

Swa

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
As you found out, that rivet is deliberately weak to avoid damaging the subframe, which costs an awful lot more to replace, so putting in a normal bolt wouldn't be recommended.
Your guess is as good as mine as to how weak the replacement needs to be. Had to do this myself last year, but used a stainless bolt that I ended up necking down to something like 1.5mm diameter before it looked so weak that I didn't want to reduce it any more.
Did several trial fittings with all the spring washers in place to make sure that it wouldn't break when the mirror was folded, but didn't want to make it so weak that it would drop off in my lap when hammering down the motorway.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Can't answer the bolt but

I severed my ACL, came off my bike on diesel, and had reconstructive surgery this year. At our advancing age, and level of fitness, recovery can be poor and I will be handicapped for the rest of my life. I will have to do specific physiotherapy exercises every week ad infinitum......yuk.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear that Rabbitt
I am hoping that mine is a grade 1 tear, but it is too early to tell.

As for the bolt, I'll experiment with drilled brass bolts for a while.
Hey ! Nothing else to do for a few months.

I may explore what what is available in the automotive world and I'll post my findings.

Thanks
Swa

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.