FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever put Halo LED rings behind the instrument faces? RGB LEDs maybe?

What is the weirdest idea you've had, or tried, with lighting? LED or otherwise.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just invested in some LED lighting. Just finished up my Daughters bike , R3. If I ever get to ride my 2019 FJR I will bedazzle it with some LED lights. Mostly for fun and our local cruise night.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
8,073 Posts
Has anyone here ever put Halo LED rings behind the instrument faces? RGB LEDs maybe?

What is the weirdest idea you've had, or tried, with lighting? LED or otherwise.
You must not ride much at night. To me the reflections from the instruments in the wind shield are bad enough to want a backlight dimmer switch, not more light.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
My 2005 has a WigWag headlight controller. The switch is above the dash on the right. I made a bar of amber LED flasher lights for the back with the power-on switch and pattern change switch in the glove box lid. I eventually removed that and incorporated the switch holes into a Homelink.

My 2016 dash went to Bluegauges.com. I had him change EVERY dash light to red. High beam? Red. Turn signals? Red. As soon as it got back I took it into the dealer for the transmission and brake switch recall. I'll post pics when it comes back from the dealer. Trying to decide whether to go with a plain WigWag on the 2016, or fancier like a four-way controller that would do WigWag a bit differently and also give the option of directional indicator (progressively light up the four headlights left or right).

Future work -Trying to figure out how to light up a SHAD SH58X. The hinge is right in front of the light area, complicating the wiring layout. Do I go single or try for progressive lighting? I have spare saddlebags and plan to mount a LiFEPO4 battery plus a mobile ham radio and maybe a few other items in one saddlebag. Ham antenna will be on a new bar of amber LED flasher lights. Switches will be mounted either in front/above the tank or above the clutch reservoir. WigWag would be one switch. Four way controller would be 3-5. Plus two for the ambers.

I'll post pics of the WigWag switch and controller on the 2005 when I post the Bluegauges pics. Dealer expects to start working on my 2016 next week. Not sure that's going to happen with the impending cold front.

Reactions: Metalo

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You must not ride much at night. To me the reflections from the instruments in the wind shield are bad enough to want a backlight dimmer switch, not more light.
Actually about half of my riding is in the dark. I use my FJR as a commuter bike so 1st trip of the day is daylight, 2nd trip is at night. I have never seen any reflection on my windscreen from the gauges, so I don't really know what you mean. Also, using RGB LEDs in the cluster would allow you to not only change gauge color but adjust brightness as well, so you could easily turn them down if their too bright for you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On Gen1 I believe the cluster has bulbs. You can change all to LED's as some have. Red is a good colour for night-time. Not sure if Gen1 has a dimmer function.
https://www.fjrforum.com/topic/1363...-speedo-assembly/?tab=comments#comment-839656
You are correct, four T3 bulbs to illuminate the gauges, 4 or 5 for the warning lights (depending on ABS), and two T4 bulbs for the turn signal indicators, and no dimmer. However, you're not thinking creatively enough. Once you crack open the gauge assembly you find that there is a small gap between the housing and the gauge faces, meant to allow some light to spill out around the front. If you remove the two T3 bulbs that illuminate the left side (Speedo and tach) and install a thin RGB LED strip in there (yes you have to remove the gauge faces to get it in) and install a RGB Bluetooth controller behind the panel and tap it's power into the gauge cluster's PWS you can have brightness control and an evenly lite RGB Speedo and tach.

I figure why buy one color when I can have them ALL!!! MWAH HA HA!!! :cautious:

·
Registered
193 Posts
20200802_230532.jpg
20200802_230558.jpg

I put my Off road light pods on the front and controlled by a toggle I'm looking at more handle bar switches. since I will be getting my second to last dash piece I'm pulling all the plastics and mounting my under-glow kit. Figured its time with it snowing now and will probably wake up to a foot of snow shoveling heaven!
These are just the front with 1 strip I'm putting them all the way to the back under the plastics.
Anyone find a good place to mount a sword or manchette??

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Exactly. The signal light reminders on my ZRX are below my field of vision, so I added a couple of LEDs just above the tach and speedo. They were great during the day, but they were blinding at night. I finally removed them.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,117 Posts
You are correct, four T3 bulbs to illuminate the gauges, 4 or 5 for the warning lights (depending on ABS), and two T4 bulbs for the turn signal indicators, and no dimmer. However, you're not thinking creatively enough. Once you crack open the gauge assembly you find that there is a small gap between the housing and the gauge faces, meant to allow some light to spill out around the front. If you remove the two T3 bulbs that illuminate the left side (Speedo and tach) and install a thin RGB LED strip in there (yes you have to remove the gauge faces to get it in) and install a RGB Bluetooth controller behind the panel and tap it's power into the gauge cluster's PWS you can have brightness control and an evenly lite RGB Speedo and tach.

I figure why buy one color when I can have them ALL!!! MWAH HA HA!!! :cautious:
All might sound cool but........ why not find the illumination feed to the cluster and put in new LED's and incorporate a dimmer for that nighttime riding..... the Superbrite LED's wlll be bright and likely too bright at night.
Superbrites in my VFR......... I have no dimmer but I don't intend to ride at night with it. This pic kinda simulates what it would look like at night, but the green is for daytime visibility of the voltmeter and shift indicator. The original VFR scheme for backlighting is green, barely visible in daytime until the LED's were installed.

This is more like daytime.............

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All might sound cool but........ why not find the illumination feed to the cluster and put in new LED's and incorporate a dimmer for that nighttime riding..... the Superbrite LED's wlll be bright and likely too bright at night.
Superbrites in my VFR......... I have no dimmer but I don't intend to ride at night with it. This pic kinda simulates what it would look like at night, but the green is for daytime visibility of the voltmeter and shift indicator. The original VFR scheme for backlighting is green, barely visible in daytime until the LED's were installed.
Because that would not yield the results that I want. I'm not looking for just a simple dimmer, or a single color. I was the near infinite amount of choice that comes from RGB. I agree, it you just wanted a single color you could just put a set of LED T3s in there and add a relay and a resistor, maybe even a photo-switch that could brighten or dim the gauges automatically for you depending on ambient lighting, and that would be cool! But it's not the reason for the season.

I just got in all the parts to do this little project the other day, so I'll post a few pics of what my new gauges look like (Day & Night) after I get it done. I think once it's done you'll understand my point. Oh, @RaYzerman, I do like the classic green look you went with. It looks pretty sweet, lot's of lens flare though, like a JJ Abrams movie.

I put my Off road light pods on the front and controlled by a toggle I'm looking at more handle bar switches. since I will be getting my second to last dash piece I'm pulling all the plastics and mounting my under-glow kit. Figured its time with it snowing now and will probably wake up to a foot of snow shoveling heaven!
These are just the front with 1 strip I'm putting them all the way to the back under the plastics.
Anyone find a good place to mount a sword or manchette??
Geeze @Gray Squall! That's what I'm talking about! That is spectacular, I've been thinking of doing that to mine using switchback LED strips. That way when you activate the turn signal, the corresponding side flashes amber. Basically turning the entire side vent/gill into a turn signal & running light.

Not sure about a sword or manchette holder/mount but I did build a fishing rod mount for my old cruiser back when I lived near lake Fort Phantom. Could have been used to hold a short sword, maybe.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, here's a little taste of what I'm talking about. It's not hooked up to the bike yet, this was just a bench test to make sure it works. Not entirely sold onthe whiteface gauges though. I don't like how you can see the gauge motor in the middle, but I did spend $60 on them, so I guess I'll punish myself by having to look at them for a while.

Blue (Dim):

Red (Bright):

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now this is what I'm talking about! LED gil or vent lights.

When the bike is on the light is white, but...

When the turn signal is activated, the vent blinks amber alongside the turn signal.

Also, I have the rear brake lights are LED and turn signals converted LED brake/turn.

(Running lights)

(Brake lights)

Not only do all the rear lights light up when braking, but they also strobe for 4 seconds before going solid on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Every year Americade does a light parade with trophies awarded. Mostly Goldwings and such but do remember seeing a FJR all wired up once. I also remember attempts to get inside the headlight buckets for the halos. Some folks can get really creative.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Every year Americade does a light parade with trophies awarded. Mostly Goldwings and such but do remember seeing a FJR all wired up once. I also remember attempts to get inside the headlight buckets for the halos. Some folks can get really creative.
Funny you should mention that. It is on my list of planned mods to add HID projector headlights inside the headlight buckets eventually. I've been debating with myself over doing halo "angel eyes" or doing something more like an LED running light/turn signal. Not sure which would look better.

But, those are mods further down the road. Replacing broken plastic, the rear shock, and a proper cruise control come first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts