FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the summer, I ordered a Sargent "one size fits all" saddle and backrest for our baby. Didn't like the seat, but liked the backrest. The seat felt like I was riding on an upholstered park bench, which of necessity, and in all fairness to Sargent, it needs to accomodate all size keesters by coming with a wide, bench-like seating position.

Sent the seat back to Sargent but arranged to keep the backrest. Then I called Bill "Rocky" Mayers in Ojai, CA to see if he'd be willing to (1) build me a seat while (2) simultaneously experiment fitting Sargent's backrest to my bike. My Beemer buddy had Mayers build him a seat a few months back and he was happy with it and, besides it involved a ride down the California coast, so it was a no brainer.

After stating his disclaimer that he didn't do backrests for our bikes because of "liability" issues, he said he'd be willing to take a look at it and said, "Bring 'er down." I set a date with my Beemer buddy and off we rode in October.

Rocky's boys did a beautiful job, trimming the pillion pan to allow the backrest post to slide down into the very slick, well engineered Sargent backrest support brackets. My maiden is very happy with her lovely British backside comfortably cupped in the finest combination of Mayers and Sargent's handiwork. And you guys know how crucial it is to our overall quality of life to have a comfortable maiden...

While Mayers boys had to cut a nice little oval hole in the rearmost portion of the pillion seat to allow the backrest post to slide down into the aforementioned Sargent bracket, it looks very neat. Integrity of the modified, slightly trimmed pillion seat pan doesn't budge any more than it did stock.

Total cost: 'spensive butt werth it. $199.95 for Sargent backrest kit, $559 for Mayers solo black leather seat, $40 for rear matching pillion, $75 to modify the pillion pan for the backrest, plus tax of course, $48.87 = $922.82. They even threw in extra black cowhide so I could match the backrest to the seat down the road. Though one would have to look very closely to notice the difference between the Sargent backrest and the Mayers saddle, my anal nature will no doubt soon get the best of me...

Merry Christmas and a joyous holiday season and beyond....

botajet

·
Registered
163 Posts
Was that you I passed on Foxen Canyon last weekend? FJR and an RT heading toward Santa Maria? Whole bunch of switches on the left panel?

And, Rocky is a great seat maker. I have his seat, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Twowheel, not me. Haven't been down that way since we rode back from Rocky's in October. What a ride eh, back over 33 to 166 from Ojai to Santa Maria. Has everything, twisties, long, fast straights, crusin' space, etc. Got to be one of the best roads in the state....

Thanks for asking and "got no switches" on the left side....

Ride in comfort and peace,

Bert

1 - 3 of 3 Posts