FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike sales are booming in Aus at the moment. The "Australian Motor Cycle News" magazine has just published figures for bike sales over the period January to September 05 in Aus.

Yamaha has come top of the class with 17,737 units, and was top in the following categories.
Touring - FJR1300 - 169 (next was BMW R1200RT with 101)
Super Sport - YZF-R1 - 636
Enduro - WR450F - 1497
Fun Bike - PW50 - 1210

So, despite all the propaganda and raving over the exotic European brands, most sensible Aussies chose Yamaha. Ducati didn't make the top 10 in any category.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Nice stats mate!!

I wonder who will own Australias first 2006 FJR?

Me I hope!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bernie said:
Ducati didn't make the top 10 in any category.
That's what makes their racing program so incredible, even if they had any so-called displacement advantage, (the track records they set this year racing against the MI and GSXR should dispel that myth) their racing program is still awesome considering their paultry sales in comparrison to Yamaha and the rest.

But, in general terms, sensible people don't buy motorcycles mate. Motorcycles are anything but sensible. And when non-sensible people want more than a sensible motorcycle, when they're ready for some passion from their ownership experience, they buy Ducati, or Harley, or BMW or anything other than sensible Japaneses bikes, cause passion is more senseless than senselessness :D

Glad to hear Yamaha are doing well in their back yard, and that the FJR is a top seller.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Interesting the stats on road bikes to dirt bikes. Also I beleive people also take into account the cost of servicing the bikes. Ducatti is way over the top in this area. I would not buy one for that reason alone. Great bike but I dont think I could afford to maintain it, let alone crash it, $800 for a headlight. sheessh :cry:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Belly, your right with the comment about the maintenance costs of Ducati's. I don't believe some of the maintenace bills my Ducati owning friends have to pay. It's not restricted to Ducati though, it seems to be common with most European manufactured bikes. BMW's are certainly expensive to service.
Beside that, the reliabilty factor on the newer model European bikes isn't as good as it should be either. I think in many ways it's much like many of the European Manufactured cars, they try and keep up technologically with the Japanese manufacturers but the reliability factor isn't there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
One would have to do an apples to apples cost comparrison for specific models rather than using generalisations like Japenese bikes are less costly to maintain and more reliable than European bikes. If I've discovered anything in the last three 3 years of my motorcycling experience, it's that Japanese bikes are just as susceptible to major design flaws and mechanical woes as any other make.

Within the same amount of mileage, my present ride, a '05 ST3, has been the best new bike I've owned in terms of mechanical problems: I've had none. Can't say that for the new Japanese bike, or the new American bike I've owned, but I can say between the three, it was the Japanese bike that was the most problemed model. Now, whether or not the ST3 stays that way, only time will tell, but, the build quality is second to none.

Additionally, neither has my experience with used bikes been in favour of Japanese bikes. I find they can nickle and dime one to death, as it seemed I was always at the local dealership ordering small parts. (The exception to this was my V-max, which was as reliable as an anvil)

The Ducati will require service more frequently, yes, and if done by a dealer will be more costly than most, but not all, Japanese bikes yes, but one needs to also include ownership satisfaction in any cost analyses, and in that regard, some peole don't mind to pay more for servicing a ride they are happier with, as it's part of the cost of ownership. What good is owning a bike that costs 1/3 less to service than a bike that makes your heart race eveytime you *think* about riding it? Not to say the Japanese bikes don't do that, but they're not known for their "soul" are they? Paying more for something you might take more pride in owning rather than something that is just as reliable or otherwise equivalent is true for other products as well, eg. Timex or Rolex? Ferrari or Corvette? Leather or Vinyl?

I've found that some brands are unfairly labelled as less reliable than other brands based on ancient history, which is equally true for the vice versa, ie some brands have an undeserved reputation for reliability, (a certain 3 letters come to mind) but times have changed, and old paradigms have been left behind for new realities, eg HD makes a *very* decent bike in terms of reliability, and Ducati shim clearances only have to be *checked* every 6K, not neccessarily replaced.

All that being said, the FJR rocks, and is still tops in its class IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts