FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
This can be many things..... not likely vapor lock, that's not really possible on an FI system.
Do you have fresh fuel? or at least fuel with some Seafoam added (to disperse any water that may be in it).

I would check spark plugs, spark plug adapter resistance, and refresh the connections to the spark plug wires.

How aggressively or non-agressively do you ride? How many miles on the bike?

·
Registered
2014 FJR-A
164 Posts
07 yamaha fjr 1300 ae. Hard to start when warm. Takes multiple tries before it will stammer into life. Vapor lock?

When you say "hard to start when warm", do you mean it spins slow like a weak battery? Or, do you mean it spins normal speed but has to spin a long time before starting? Do you spin it with the throttle closed or opened some or wide open? Does the fuel pump run for a few seconds when the switch is turned on? Is the fuel tank full of rust? How long has this been happening? What is the weather like now and when you first started noticing the hard start? How warm is warm? When it is running, what is idle speed?

Expiring minds want to know!!

dan

“A person who asks questions can get a reputation such as a person who wishes to find things out.” ― Damon Runyon

·
Registered
82 Posts
07 yamaha fjr 1300 ae. Hard to start when warm. Takes multiple tries before it will stammer into life. Vapor lock?
My 2003 does the same thing, but in my case, it's the lithium battery. If I stop for a short break on a ride, the heat rising up off the engine gets the battery so hot it won't start the first couple of start button hits. Same with temps below about 45 degrees. I have to turn the ignition on and let it sit for a couple minutes before hitting the start button. This doesn't really answer your question, but.....perhaps your battery is the issue?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just an idea. I had an 01 Yamaha Start. It will do the same, until one day it didn't start at all. Turned out to be the stator. My suggestion would be to warm up the bike to the point it won't start. Then ohm check it with a voltmeter.

·
Premium Member
Current FJR's 2 2011's Past FJR's 2003 2x2005 2008 2010 2013
95 Posts
4Rock....I chased this problem on an '06....the rider had overfilled the fuel tank mutiple times and excess had saturated the canister...removed the canister and dried out and has been working fine ever since...started fine when cold but the extra fuel vapor made engine run super rich after getting warm

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
My 2003 does the same thing, but in my case, it's the lithium battery. If I stop for a short break on a ride, the heat rising up off the engine gets the battery so hot it won't start the first couple of start button hits. Same with temps below about 45 degrees. I have to turn the ignition on and let it sit for a couple minutes before hitting the start button. This doesn't really answer your question, but.....perhaps your battery is the issue?
Is the 2003 battery under the seat? 2007 is up in the front cowling, can't imagine you get enough heat soak up there to bother the battery.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'd start with a valve check if it's due for one. If the valves are tight when cold, they may be holding open the valves when hot. This would result in a drop in compression leading to difficulty starting.

·
Registered
2003 & 2013 FJR1300A
254 Posts
Battery is under the top of the fairing on the right side. My gen1 was having problems turning over once it was hot. Did a search here and discovered that the starters have had that issue over the years. I replaced it but developed a electrical issue after the fact. Shamefully she is just sitting and I haven’t taken the time to get it going again, since the gen3 hit the garage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts