FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Fjr 2003 1300 frist gen
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this strange problem every time that I have my bike in neutral started up kick stand up I go and put it in first and dies I've cleaned out the whole side stand switch cleaned out the one that's up by the clutch handle took out every clutch plate everything clean them all up put them all back in there exactly how they're supposed to go the bike keeps dying no matter what I do I even clipped the wires to the side stand switch and put them both together to see if I can get the computer to trick to see if it's we'll start up and run if it is a side switch but it's not I have no clue what's going on does anybody know I even clean the push rods the bearing that was in it everything. And still dies when I put it in gear. Also it seems to shift really hard. Any thoughts. Thank you all

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
So when it dies, is it like someone just shut the ignition off or is it like something is locked up so loads & stalls the motor ?

·
Registered
Fjr 2003 1300 frist gen
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So when it dies, is it like someone just shut the ignition off or is it like something is locked up so loads & stalls the motor ?
It shifts super hard then dies. Almost like kickstand is down.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Shifts super hard? Does it lurch forward when it dies?

·
Registered
Fjr 2003 1300 frist gen
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shifts super hard? Does it lurch forward when it dies?
Yes. It seems like when you try to shift with no cluch. You get the gears grinding noise. Jumps foreword then dies right awAy

·
Registered
539 Posts
OK - so your clutch isn't releasing, and that is what is killing the engine.
Have you been putzing with the clutch or master/slave?

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300A
31 Posts
With the engine off, put it in gear and hold the clutch in and see if you can roll it, if your clutch is stuck it will be obvious.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It may be possible to take off without stalling if you make a couple quick revs in neutral before shifting into first gear.

·
Registered
381 Posts
ya but if he revs it up and drops it into gear it could also launch into a wheelie lol! Sounds like the clutch ain't right...I have an auto shift now so I can't remember, but it should turn over with the side stand up, in gear, with the clutch pulled but some one else should confirm that. If it doesn't for sure the clutch as already said and good advice given.
It may be possible to take off without stalling if you make a couple quick revs in neutral before shifting into first gear.

·
Registered
39 Posts
ya but if he revs it up and drops it into gear it could also launch into a wheelie lol! Sounds like the clutch ain't right...I have an auto shift now so I can't remember, but it should turn over with the side stand up, in gear, with the clutch pulled but some one else should confirm that. If it doesn't for sure the clutch as already said and good advice given.
Hopefully Hurchell would not do that. Only shift into first after the two revs have settled back to normal idle speed.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Hurchell,

If you put the bike on the centerstand, you can start the bike in Neutral. Pull the clutch lever, then rev the engine a few times. Still holding the clutch lever, let the engine go back to idle speed, then engage first gear. If the rear wheel turns forcefully then, either the clutch plates are sticky, or you have a clutch hydraulic problem. You should be able to continue holding the clutch lever, and use the rear brake and throttle to work the clutch plates loose. Once the engine gets warmed up, the clutch should release.

If the clutch remains engaged, no matter what, you may need maintenance. Check the brass bushing in the clutch lever that pushes the master cylinder rod. It should be clean, not worn, and lubed. You can bleed the clutch hydraulics (speedbleeders.com makes it easier), or maybe clean and oil-soak the clutch plates in a pan (no need to drain the oil). You can find process write-ups for all of this stuff on this site.

Reactions: John d

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Hurchell, what year and model ?

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,457 Posts
So I gather two scenarios.... side stand switch will kill the engine right away if you try to shift into gear, sounds like we're ruling that out now?
Clutch tends to be neglected as for fluid changes.... flush, bleed, brass bushing, etc. to ensure slave is working to disengage the clutch... once bled, should have noticeable effort at the lever. Shifting into gear should be possible.
Worst case, clutch plates still sticking... try with a warmed up engine first and see if different, plates will disengage better when warmed up oil in there. If an issue, easy enough to remove clutch, clean and liberally coat/soak the plates in oil, reassemble.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Still wondering what you did between rewiring the ecu connector and losing your keys - when apparently the clutch did work, and now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hurchell
In your first post you wrote that you took out all the clutch plates and reinstalled them, however you did not mention if you oil soaked them first before reinstalling, which should have been done.

·
Registered
Fjr 2003 1300 frist gen
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK - so your clutch isn't releasing, and that is what is killing the engine.
Have you been putzing with the clutch or master/slave?
Yes I have tryed rev it up it just keeps dieing like some turned the key off
Hurchell, what year and model ?
2003 fjr frist gen abs I'm thinking it's been a hell of a day

1 - 20 of 21 Posts