FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife a I RV plus like to Ride, We have a nice 5th wheel and the FJR...So only natural to get a ToyHauler which we did. .A small one to camp in most State and National Parks...OK With the D-rings where is the best to tie the Front end down--- I don't like the handle bars, was thinking the Forks, what do you do?

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Right over the axleshaft. Let the suspension do what it is supposed to do. One on each side and the bike is rock solid.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'll agree about the suspension but add that I'd also favor something to keep the front wheel on the deck. If I couldn't strap or clamp the wheel I'd run straps up inside the fairing to soft-ties around the bars or one of the triples with just enough tension for some downforce without compressing the forks much. Extra care given to avoid pinching any wires and lines or scratching the Tupperware.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
That wheel is pulled hard into the deck and chock, from the angle of the strap. It isn't as horizontal as it looks.

·
Registered
2021 FJR
120 Posts
I used those things that attach to the hand grips and a few other straps. I’m a belt and suspenders person.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,509 Posts
I've trailered my bike several times and a Canyon Dancer on the bars are a good idea. I don't use them to pull on the bike in any direction. I use them to simply hold the bike vertical. Soft straps elsewhere pull the bike to secure it. If you're looking for a definitive "this is the best/only/preferred way", you've come to the wrong place ;).

Here's a few threads to read all about the differing opinions:

·
Super Moderator
3,883 Posts
I never tie down anything buy (light) dirt bikes via the handlebars. A good bump and the full mass of the bike will be forced into the bars (that aren't made for that kind of load). Better to use soft ties to the upper triple, then ratchet to the soft ties.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just hauled an FJR from San Diego to Idaho on my car trailer. Before going I read every thread I could find on how to tie one down. In the end I bought the $40 Harbor freight wheel chock, and tied to the crash bars pulling forward into the chock, just snug, take out the slack. This worked great, the wheel chock makes all the difference, it never moved.
Im interested in where/how you plan to trailer behind the fiver, the only solution I can see is double tow, and Id be over 70’ on my setup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So Il went to harbor freight today and got a wheel chock, Thursday am we shall see how well our little toy hauler does..my wife and I always have had 36' and 38' 5th wheel RV's and still do and now we've got a TT...And Ive been looking for 2yrs on a Small TT Toy Hauler and found a 18' Trailer, no bedroom but has a bathroom and a kitchen area and once the bike is out we will use a air matress to sleep on ..It has AC and Heat so it better than a tent we were going to use...The FJR takes up most of the space in its length, but its set up for 2 MC's. Thanks for all of your ideas on the straps and mounting points...

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,706 Posts
That video shows quite a vertical pull, which is acceptable..... perhaps your photos have misled us a bit, but I'd say get that tiedown point up much higher than the axle.
I use Canyon Dancers at the handlebars lightly tensioned and the bike won't then fall over/less stress on the lower straps. Front wheel in a HF chock of course. I don't see the need to spend the big bucks on other ones.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
That video shows quite a vertical pull, which is acceptable..... perhaps your photos have misled us a bit, but I'd say get that tiedown point up much higher than the axle.
My photos don't really show how much angle is in those straps - mostly because a uhaul trailer has sides so you are looking almost straight down to take a picture. So figure that an FJR front tire is about 24 inches tall, that means the strap on the axle is at 12.5" and at an angle down to about a 2 inch height at the d ring. Trailer is about 45.5" wide, so figure the distance from the fork leg to the d-ring in a horizontal plane is around 17 inches. The main thing is that you need triangulation between the fork and the trailer floor, doesn't really matter if it is more up/down or side to side - a 45 degree angle would be optimal but not necessary. FJR doesn't really have a good spot higher than the axle but below the top of the lower forks due to the way the fender mounts.

When I strapped it down, I grabbed the bike and tried to shove it side to side and there was no movement - stayed the same for the 600 mile ride home.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts