FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
You'll want that phone in your pocket if you go down separated from your bike and laying hurt in a ditch.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
You'll want that phone in your pocket if you go down separated from your bike and laying hurt in a ditch.
I tent to agree, watch this guy, separated from his gs, trying to catch a breath, his buddies went ahead, even if they turn around, they couldn't even see him in the ditch, at timestamp 4:53 he is saying he was lucky he had his cell phone in his pocket, it's one of those life or death situations, a phone in your pocket may become your life line. Geez I hope nobody ever has to go through this, this guy had multiple surgeries, and seriously injured and disabled, not in the wheelchair but almost.
He had some great videos, but at the same time doing wreckless speeds on public roads in South Africa, with his fast buddies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Damir, I can vouch for the Hawkshead unit. tpms.ca is their website. I do run 90 degree Ariete valve stems but I will be switching to the Hawkshead .453 T-valve stems at the next tire
change. Here are a couple of pictures. Please excuse the dust, I do live in the country. I have been using this for over a year with no issues. Uncle Phil has a very good write up on these
over on the st-owners website. He runs Hawkshead on 4 of his ST1100's.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
8,063 Posts
When I was getting a new tire mounted last weekend, I asked about 90-degree stems. The mechanic said that the "sideways" stem can flex over time (think of the high speed pushing the horizontal part of the stem outwards towards the rim, then flexing back as you slow down) and eventually leak - so he didn't recommend them. Your mileage may vary, but that was his stated reason for sticking with "standard" valve stems.
The ones linked earlier at kurvygurl are metal. No flexing at all. Your mechanic may hve been thinking about cheap-o rubber ones.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Damir, I can vouch for the Hawkshead unit. tpms.ca is their website. I do run 90 degree Ariete valve stems but I will be switching to the Hawkshead .453 T-valve stems at the next tire
change. Here are a couple of pictures. Please excuse the dust, I do live in the country. I have been using this for over a year with no issues. Uncle Phil has a very good write up on these
over on the st-owners website. He runs Hawkshead on 4 of his ST1100's.

View attachment 77764

View attachment 77765

View attachment 77766

View attachment 77767
Looking good, does it show both tires pressure and temperature at all time?

·
Registered
181 Posts

Thx Ed, I don't see FJR listed, they only say 11.3mm in most cases ?
what size will fit FJR rim holes ?
I have an 08 FJR and valve stem holes are 6mm. The metal part that fits into rim is 5.97mm, and its 6.08 at top of rubber seal. Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
View attachment 77768

I have an 08 FJR and valve stem holes are 6mm. The metal part that fits into rim is 5.97mm, and its 6.08 at top of rubber seal. Hope that helps
That's a great information Moos***, so far the info was that FJR hole was 11.3mm, your measurement is considerably smaller.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,084 Posts
Mooseman, er... um..... Your caliper is showing 11mm..... methinks you forgot to zero it out. I don't know of an FJR with 6mm holes, they are 11.3 AFAIK. Recheck?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looking good, does it show both tires pressure and temperature at all time?
Yes, the pressure registers and is displayed as you start rolling. You also have the ability to set high and low pressure alarms as well as high temperature alarms.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, the pressure registers and is displayed as you start rolling. You also have the ability to set high and low pressure alarms as well as high temperature alarms.
Correction, the pressure is only displayed all the time. The temperature is not.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
The unit that Ray put the link for above is a steal of a deal, wish I’d known of that one when I bought mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I see a lot of different views and I still cannot figure out what is the best option. I am from Canada, check over here and still struggle with the choice. It would be helpful if you add a poll vote to your thread and them it would be possible to see the choice of the majority of users. Otherwise, I do not think it will be easy to analyze all advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
here some diagrams on T-valves and one "Stabilizer / retainer" solution

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
My t valves have no need for reinforcement. 85,000 hard miles on the first set, 63,000 so far on this set. They don’t need any help. That’s why we use them instead of the rubber ones for tpms.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you use metal valve cap or external TPMS installed, unscrew them from time to time so they won't seize. I would apply some type of lube/oil on the valve stem before inserting the TPMS, especially if you ride in the on salted winter roads to prevent corrosion build up.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
8,063 Posts
If you use metal valve cap or external TPMS installed, unscrew them from time to time so they won't seize. I would apply some type of lube/oil on the valve stem before inserting the TPMS, especially if you ride in the on salted winter roads to prevent corrosion build up.
I guess.... if one really feels it necessary, it won't cause any harm. But I've been using metal valve stems on all my vehicles for 30+ yrs and never have I seen or heard of anyone having this problem. The 2 different screw-on TPMS I've seen are plastic.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts