FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get me a decent Tire pressure monitoring system and metal T or 90deg stems to fit to my '17 FJR ES, any links greatly appreciated. 👍

Yes it has been discussed already on this forum, but most of the old stuff is no longer available, from places like eBay, Amazon etc.

And also some new and improved models might be a better choice.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I have Strada 83 degree valve stems. Have had them on other bikes and love them. Makes it very easy to get an air hose on. Although I will admit 2 sets leaked. I put in new cores and no problems afterward.

Amazon.com: Strada 7 83 Degree 11.3mm 0.445" inch Silver CNC Valve Stems fits Honda Kawasaki Suzuki Yamaha BMW: Automotive

I also have this Sykik TPMS. Not expensive and had a ton of good reviews. Only time will tell of it's quality.
Amazon.com: SYKIK Rider SRTP300 Wireless tire Pressure Monitoring System for Motorcycles with 1.5” Monitor. Check Your tire Pressure While Riding: Automotive

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Click that over there -----> Valve Stems

I've got the 83 degree on both bikes and really like them.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have Strada 83 degree valve stems. Have had them on other bikes and love them. Makes it very easy to get an air hose on. Although I will admit 2 sets leaked. I put in new cores and no problems afterward.

Amazon.com: Strada 7 83 Degree 11.3mm 0.445" inch Silver CNC Valve Stems fits Honda Kawasaki Suzuki Yamaha BMW: Automotive

I also have this Sykik TPMS. Not expensive and had a ton of good reviews. Only time will tell of it's quality.
Amazon.com: SYKIK Rider SRTP300 Wireless tire Pressure Monitoring System for Motorcycles with 1.5” Monitor. Check Your tire Pressure While Riding: Automotive
Thx, what size stem will fit FJR holes ?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Click that over there -----> Valve Stems

I've got the 83 degree on both bikes and really like them.
Thx Ed, I don't see FJR listed, they only say 11.3mm in most cases ?
what size will fit FJR rim holes ?

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
8,073 Posts
I have FOBO Bike2 TPMS. Simple free app on phone.

Hawksheads Tee valve stems. Available at FOBO site, click ACCESSORIES. 83 or 90 degree valve stems suck with screw-on type TPMS. You'll have to remove the sensor to add air. PITA. Go with the tee stems.

If you have a TPMS compatible Garmin gps I have 3 of those sensors I'll sell ya for $110 shipped.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Looking to get me a decent Tire pressure monitoring system and metal T or 90deg stems to fit to my '17 FJR ES, any links greatly appreciated. 👍

Yes it has been discussed already on this forum, but most of the old stuff is no longer available, from places like eBay, Amazon etc.

And also some new and improved models might be a better choice.
Fobo Bike and the t-valves they sell. I used t-valves from wingstuff on the last bike, simply because Fobo was priced too high on theirs at the time. Fobo’s stems on this one.

Over 100,000 miles and another fjr later, the Fobo still works great.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Thx, what size stem will fit FJR holes ?
It's the 11.3mm size.

BTW I just don't care for the TPMS that uses an app for your phone. My phone stays in my jacket pocket. I'll never use it in a mount on the bike. #1 a phone is pricey to replace should it pop out of the holder. #2 most phones are not water proof. Should you hit a sudden rain storm with no place to pull over... see #1. And last but not least, I could tell you a horror story of a friend who hit a horse crossing the road, his phone in his tank bag went flying into the weeds. Another friend with him had no emergency contact number for him, couldn't find his phone, had no signal on his own phone and by the time help arrived it was too late.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I agree with “T” valves, it’s what I use. You can add air w/o removing the caps. Yes it does cause you to use more weight to balance the wheels, but it’s a better way.

I also use a monitor that looks exactly like the one Whooshka uses just a different brand (China) , works good and been on my bike for 3yrs or so now, works great but keep in mind that you must remove it from the bike to charge it, usually about once a year, no biggie. I got mine from Amazon.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,117 Posts
T-stems the way to go.. at sources mentioned or tpms.ca
This one is a very good TPMS..... identical to tpms.ca unit and much less $$. I used one for several years on my '07.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have FOBO Bike2 TPMS. Simple free app on phone.

Hawksheads Tee valve stems. Available at FOBO site, click ACCESSORIES. 83 or 90 degree valve stems suck with screw-on type TPMS. You'll have to remove the sensor to add air. PITA. Go with the tee stems.

If you have a TPMS compatible Garmin gps I have 3 of those sensors I'll sell ya for $110 shipped.
Thx Russ, no don't have Garmin's ,thx for your offer, yes I like the idea of T-stems (y)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's the 11.3mm size.

BTW I just don't care for the TPMS that uses an app for your phone. My phone stays in my jacket pocket. I'll never use it in a mount on the bike. #1 a phone is pricey to replace should it pop out of the holder. #2 most phones are not water proof. Should you hit a sudden rain storm with no place to pull over... see #1. And last but not least, I could tell you a horror story of a friend who hit a horse crossing the road, his phone in his tank bag went flying into the weeds. Another friend with him had no emergency contact number for him, couldn't find his phone, had no signal on his own phone and by the time help arrived it was too late.
Yes Whoo*** it cost me a thousand bucks to learn my new smartphone is better off in my top pocket all safe and protected...stupid X-grip :rolleyes:...and tbh if my phone is on the handlebar I am getting tempted to fiddle around while ridding...I can see that gradually this will become a dangerous practice in the bike world...some people (we know who) even snap pictures while ridding :D.
Too many buttons and touch screens = trouble
New Africa T. has a TFT touch screen...oh Lord here comes trouble, now everybody will use those

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
T-stems the way to go.. at sources mentioned or tpms.ca
This one is a very good TPMS..... identical to tpms.ca unit and much less $$. I used one for several years on my '07.
I agree with “T” valves, it’s what I use. You can add air w/o removing the caps. Yes it does cause you to use more weight to balance the wheels, but it’s a better way.

I also use a monitor that looks exactly like the one Whooshka uses just a different brand (China) , works good and been on my bike for 3yrs or so now, works great but keep in mind that you must remove it from the bike to charge it, usually about once a year, no biggie. I got mine from Amazon.
Thx Steve...can it stay and operate while on the bike connected via usb cable?
Thx Ray (y)
T-valves it is

·
Registered
275 Posts
Damir, I have FOBO 2 TPMS system and T valves - both purchased from Motorcycle Innovations on both my bikes. I've only had them installed for one year, so don't have a long history of experience with them, but the experience with them is very positive. No issues or incidents with tire pressure last year, but I like having the peace mind that the TPMS gives me.

Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase!

Reactions: Damir

·
Registered
2008 FJR
66 Posts
When I was getting a new tire mounted last weekend, I asked about 90-degree stems. The mechanic said that the "sideways" stem can flex over time (think of the high speed pushing the horizontal part of the stem outwards towards the rim, then flexing back as you slow down) and eventually leak - so he didn't recommend them. Your mileage may vary, but that was his stated reason for sticking with "standard" valve stems.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,117 Posts
I have a Chinese one at the moment, the one with the 2" square monitor and solar panel, all of these are very similar, made at the same place, all come in the identical box. Works well, doesn't need charging often (even the ones without the solar panel). Yes, plug into micro USB and charge while riding if you have a USB connection, usable the whole time. I've put a few of these on bikes, and the only variation seen is sometimes certain sensors aren't spot on with the pressure. OK as long as you know what that deviation is 1 or 2 psi (usually low).
Mount your sensors on the top of the T-stem, particularly on the front where it can go up between the brake rotors for clearance.
PS - I did try a Chinese phone app one, darn thing has a tracking app..... um, nope, not going there.

Reactions: Dan Kim and Damir

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
When I was getting a new tire mounted last weekend, I asked about 90-degree stems. The mechanic said that the "sideways" stem can flex over time (think of the high speed pushing the horizontal part of the stem outwards towards the rim, then flexing back as you slow down) and eventually leak - so he didn't recommend them. Your mileage may vary, but that was his stated reason for sticking with "standard" valve stems.
I can't see how a metal stem can flex. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
With a proper phone and proper mount, there’s no reason not to have my iPhone viewable. Sometimes, two of them. It’s part of why I have them.
That said, my tpms warns me in my helmet, regardless of where my phone is. If an out of spec temp or pressure event occurs, I know about it even though my eyes are on the road.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts