FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying a portable GPS that I can use on my FJR and also transfer to my car.

Should be easy to use. This will be my first GPS. (im still trying to figure out how to work my cars radio!!!!!)

Maps of USA, since thats where I'll be using it.

Someone told me look at the Tom Tom of the new Sony.

Any ideas????? Dont want to spend alot for features I dont need. (like when I bought my last pc)

And also, just wanted to say, the more I ride my new 06 FJR the more I like it. Also makes me wonder how the hell I rode HDs all those years.

I sold my 2001 Dyna Lowrider a few weeks ago, but still have a 1996 Electra Glide in the garage. I took it out today just for giggles. After 15 minutes, I had enough, parked the E glide and hopped on the FJR .

·
Registered
110 Posts
I personally like the Garmin units. The 2720 is excellent. If you want navigation and XM-radio try the 2730. If you want navigation, XM-radio and bluetooth for cellular connectivity try the 2820 which is about to be released. I had a Garmin 2610 on my 2005 FJR. It worked exceptionally well. They were discontinued a couple years ago but are still around. You might find a great deal on one.

Mel

·
Registered
143 Posts
GPS

I recently bought a new 2610. The two most popular are the 276c and 2610. Most of the people who make mounts for gps units recomend not getting the 2720 or any gps that uses a micro drive. Touratech has a disclamer on their site regarding gps units with micro drives. With that said, there are a lot of people who use them without issue. The thing I liked most about the 2610 it uses compact flash cards and the memory can be expanded to 2G. Good luck which ever you get.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've got a 276c on a RAM ball mount with never a problem. I have a weighted mount that rests on a car dash as well. I have the cable to connect to audio output and DC input but I haven't messed with it. My favorite thing about GPS is to go up into the mountains and explore without worrying about getting lost. When I'm done I say navigate Home and away we go!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Most of the people who make mounts for gps units recomend not getting the 2720
It is true that the older microdrive units were no good on bikes, however the newer units like the 2720 are apparantly ok for bike use, I checked with Garmin before buying my 2720 & many miles later no problems.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I bought a Garmin 276C for my first GPS and find it pretty easy to get along with. Still learning all of its tricks but I was able to navigate with it on day one.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Here ya go.

And I have it on good authority that 20valves can find a Pizza joint in Topeka with one of these, BETTER than he can with his high-felootin' GPS!

:)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
And I have it on good authority that 20valves can find a Pizza joint in Topeka with one of these, BETTER than he can with his high-felootin' GPS!:)
The GPS found a bunch of pizza joints, just none in Topeka! And yeah Glenn, my personal pizza radar kicked in and saved the day. S'all good!

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Sorry for the hijack czbilly. Just buy a 276C and start shopping RAM mounts. The screen on the 276C is the same size as the screen on the 2720, or a mm bigger... but the unit is much smaller.

Works fine in the car... or whatever vehicle you take it in with you.

This process does cost money, though. If you get the hang of it, you'll go crazy buying the extra stuff to plug into the computer and program navigation. For instance... the 200-mile enduro I did weekend before last... I just downloaded my 'tracks' from the entire ride, and I can see where I was too fast, where I was too slow, where I crashed, where I crashed again, where I was when I got fuel, what hilltop I was on that I thought was soooo cool, the elevation of said hilltop... all that stuff.

The simpler models such as the Garmin eTrex series are smaller and a bit simpler... but the tiny screens are not useful while moving.

I don't consider TomTom or Magellan equipment, because frankly, I don't know anybody in the sport-touring arena that uses it, and therefore we can't swap routes, waypoints and all that jazz. Everybody I would share routes and points with, has Garmin stuff.

I love riding with GPS. I have such limited time to ride, and the GPS helps me get lost quicker, and how to find the most creative way to get un-lost.

:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
GPS Ideas

CZGuy,

Check out my album for photos of Cycle Gagets mounted Garmin 60Csx.

LS,

Very clever.

BAGSTR

1 - 12 of 12 Posts