FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I can highly recommend getting a simple tire changer at balancer at home. It'll save you a ton of money and time as well - no more driving to the shop with wheels etc. It's really not a difficult job, and you will be sure no one else messes with your stuff.
Or just a couple of 2x4's and a home depot bucket. I've got a HF tire changer with the motorcycle attachment. I never use the MC attachment any more, just use it for truck/trailer tires. MC tires are so easy to install/remove with a bench vise to break the bead and a set of 12-14" spoons to install/remove the tires. I use ceramic balance beads in all my tires without issue.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
285 Posts
Or just a couple of 2x4's and a home depot bucket. I've got a HF tire changer with the motorcycle attachment. I never use the MC attachment any more, just use it for truck/trailer tires. MC tires are so easy to install/remove with a bench vise to break the bead and a set of 12-14" spoons to install/remove the tires. I use ceramic balance beads in all my tires without issue.
Agreed. I have used beads for the past six years, and it's been OK. However, I just switched to weights and static balancing and I can definitely feel a difference at higher speeds. It may be because I use a TPMS with a fairly heavy valve stem unit, and the beads may simply not be able to compensate (I have added more beads several times).

When I did the static balancing I needed quite a bit of weight in the exact opposite place on the rim. Again - beads didn't bother me at "normal" speeds, but north of 100 mph was definitely not fun. All fixed now, and it's less messy when I change the tires - no more beads all over the garage floor :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@mortenk, thanks, I for sure was looking. I was looking at a balancer from Motion Pro. Thoughts on this? I've had balance issues in the past and yeah, looks easy to do. Changing tires though, I'm mixed. I'm over 50 now and everything seems to hurt the next day.

·
Registered
326 Posts
@mortenk, thanks, I for sure was looking. I was looking at a balancer from Motion Pro. Thoughts on this? I've had balance issues in the past and yeah, looks easy to do. Changing tires though, I'm mixed. I'm over 50 now and everything seems to hurt the next day.
I'm over 50. What makes you old is paying people to do stuff rather than doing work yourself ;)

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
285 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
What's this HF tire changer? Any link to one you could share? I have a bench and good vise. Thanks!
Like I said - I don't use it any more and you have to modify it a bit to get it to work with Japanese bike wheels (center bar is too thick)

If I were going to buy another MC tire changer I would buy this style from olmax rather than the HF. Although the HF works just fine for car/truck tires.
Motorcycle Tire Changer olmaxmotors | eBay

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
@Oldjeep, thanks for the info. I've been looking at similar. That bench one looks perfect. I may go for it. I always say, "next tire change" :) Just have to try it someday. Honesty, it does look simple enough with the right tools. Thanks again!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've been spooning forever. I'll be 66 in less than a month, so I figure I've saved enough over the decades to buy.........something.
The balancer linked above is perfect.
Add to that, 3 Motion Pro tire irons / spoons and you'll be golden.
Doing tire swaps at home is made much, much simpler with an extra hand to hold the 3rd spoon. (call a friend)
(try not to buy crappy irons. I have more than a dozen, but the Motion Pro brand are the rolls royce of tire irons).

Reactions: Connector

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought a wheel balancer like that one and a no-mar classic tire changer & it’s well worth it! Especially with 3 bikes at the time, but only 2 now, and 2 sets of tires per bike each year I figure it was worth the money. Also for me doing the work keeps me young & in tune with my machine. Bonus it’s a good cleaning time & gets me out of other chores!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
620 Posts
At the very least, they should have offered to get you one at their cost... A good gesture that costs them nothing and leaves a customer feeling like they at least made an effort

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So true on the cleaning part!
At the very least, they should have offered to get you one at their cost... A good gesture that costs them nothing and leaves a customer feeling like they at least made an effort
Yea! been thinking about that... especially where I've been going for so long. Probably should have argued more. I got so many shops around me too. Think my mind is changing a bit on future parts and work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thank you everyone for all the advice on the options to change a tire. Think I'm screwing up posting or replying or liking but thank you all.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Glad you took it all in stride. I'm still new here but there are plaenty of knowledgeable guys here willing to help. Take it with a grain of salt. I've got 40 years riding and wrenching experience and 20 years on internet boards. I think I can say I may have seen it all.

Reactions: Connector

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,272 Posts
Like I said - I don't use it any more and you have to modify it a bit to get it to work with Japanese bike wheels (center bar is too thick)
View attachment 78497

If I were going to buy another MC tire changer I would buy this style from olmax rather than the HF. Although the HF works just fine for car/truck tires.
Motorcycle Tire Changer olmaxmotors | eBay
Ditch the overarm (or not)..... use a 5/8" dia steel round bar as center, does not have to match bearing diameter.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ditch the overarm (or not)..... use a 5/8" dia steel round bar as center, does not have to match bearing diameter.
I've already got a steel threaded rod that is the proper diameter for the bearings - oddly enough the correct thread to screw into the base where the factory bar screws in. This allows me to hold the wheel down by the hub and not have to use the rim gouging clamps to keep it from moving. That being said, it is quicker to just do it on the floor.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts