FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I need some help. I dropped wheels off at a local shop and had new tires installed. I put the front wheel on and one rotor edge is hitting the inside of the brake caliper. It's perfectly cupped all around inwards. The other rotor is centered like normal in the caliper. Is it possible the shop cupped the rotor when mounting the new tire? I've never had this happen before. I can't see how I could have done it either. Thanks ahead for any comments.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,279 Posts
Hmmm, kinda not thinking they would cup the rotor all way around.... is it possible you're missing a spacer or have the spacers mixed left to right? On the right side, is the end of the axle flush with the fork?
Which side is "normal" to you?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Assuming the rotor has buttons, stick a wrench on each one and give it a spin.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Hi all, I need some help. I dropped wheels off at a local shop and had new tires installed. I put the front wheel on and one rotor edge is hitting the inside of the brake caliper. It's perfectly cupped all around inwards. The other rotor is centered like normal in the caliper. Is it possible the shop cupped the rotor when mounting the new tire? I've never had this happen before. I can't see how I could have done it either. Thanks ahead for any comments.
Swapping spacers will warp a rotor (not
Visibly, but you can feel it). Damhik.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Put a straight edge across the rotor to see if it is indeed cupped.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, I took the rotor off the wheel. It’s the right side one. I put it on a flat surface and it’s for sure cupped and perfectly all around. I’ll try the wrench in buttons later tonight and will call the shop today. The are original rotors.

The normal or perfect side is the left. The spaces are for sure correct and I thought the same thing at first.

Just can’t see how it could have happened. If I do have to replace it, then can I just replace the one or do you have to replace both? I have new pads on order. Some pads were a little low, not terrible, but figured I’d just replace them. Easy enough.

·
Registered
340 Posts
No point messing with the buttons if you took it off and it is warped. Sounds like they must have clamped the rotor against the tire machine when changing the tire - or the wheel was loose in the machine and tilted against the base as the arm went around?

That sucks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, yeah wicked sucks. Here are some pictures of the good left side one and bad right side one. Hard to get a good picture. I just was looking at the buttons and I decided to lean down on the center of the cupped one, push on the inner part of the rotor and it popped down. When I let go, popped back up. Really weird. Didn't know they are so flexible or soft. Looks like a new one is about $200 :(

Bad cupped one:

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Why do I see the rotor bobbins/buttons pushed up on 1 and not the other? Inspect those buttons good, there's a chance the rotor just got "off center" on them and not cupped/warped.

Reactions: Bill Lumberg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Swapping spacers will warp a rotor (not
Visibly, but you can feel it). Damhik.
Why do I see the rotor bobbins/buttons pushed up on 1 and not the other? Inspect those buttons good, there's a chance the rotor just got "off center" on them and not cupped/warped.

You have good eyes, thanks! I'll check that out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s messed up. It’s been squeezed. I drove over and spoke with the shop. Basically got to get a new one. So just waiting now. Bummer but I guess it’s possible on the tire machine. First time for everything right? I Got very unlucky.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I wish, but no. Bummed about that. Next time I'll bring a small level (good tip on that above, thanks) with me and show them they are flat before I leave.
That sucks. Hopefully next time won't be that same shop.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Conn, that’s just wrong they eff’d that rotor up and should be paying for it. Did they explain how that happened or was it just total deniability ? Total douchebag shop there !

where are they located & what’s their name ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi all, more just a conversation. I've been going for years (~25 ish) here (It's called RJ's or RPM and I'm in Nashua NH) and first issue ever. I've had such good experiences, help and great prices compared to the dealers and others near me I'm not rocking the boat over one rotor. They have saved me tons of money over years, so the first mistake, not worth it to me. The truth is I really don't know if maybe I did something to damage it. I really really really doubt it because I'm so dam careful, but I've done things in the past friends have pointed out and I'm like, "oh crap, your right". So who knows.

Will I go back? Yeah I for sure will. Like said, first issue and mistakes happen. Not the end of the world. Just glad I was able to get one ordered that's in stock and should be here early next week. Seems like there is a parts shortage happening.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi all, more just a conversation. I've been going for years (~25 ish) here (It's called RJ's or RPM and I'm in Nashua NH) and first issue ever. I've had such good experiences, help and great prices compared to the dealers and others near me I'm not rocking the boat over one rotor. They have saved me tons of money over years, so the first mistake, not worth it to me. The truth is I really don't know if maybe I did something to damage it. I really really really doubt it because I'm so dam careful, but I've done things in the past friends have pointed out and I'm like, "oh crap, your right". So who knows.

Will I go back? Yeah I for sure will. Like said, first issue and mistakes happen. Not the end of the world. Just glad I was able to get one ordered that's in stock and should be here early next week. Seems like there is a parts shortage happening.
I don't know about shortages, but there is definitely a 2-3 day shipping delay from most of the usual suspects

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
286 Posts
I can highly recommend getting a simple tire changer at balancer at home. It'll save you a ton of money and time as well - no more driving to the shop with wheels etc. It's really not a difficult job, and you will be sure no one else messes with your stuff.

Reactions: passx
1 - 20 of 44 Posts