FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride conservatively. Most of the time :wink:

One of my biggest fears is being smacked by a cager that claims, "I didn't see him."

To help mitigate this, I have the following:
- high-vis yellow riding jacket,
- retro-reflective side-case stickers,
- Back-Off brake light modulator,
- a 'third brake light' LED system just below the rear rack that stays solid-on when I'm braking.

My most recent addition to visibility:
I scraped all the stickers off of my white Shoei RF-1000 helmet, and covered as much of it as possible with 3M SOLAS tape. I had a 10 foot long by 2 inch wide strip, and I think that another 2-3 feet would have permitted me to finish covering the entire helmet.
The front (except the visor area of course), back, and sides of the helmet are completely covered, as is most of the crown.
It took about a football game to finish. Could probably go faster but the Bengals and Browns actually made a game of it, so I was distracted.

SOLAS (Safety Of Life At Sea) tape is 3Ms top of the line retro-reflective material. It has the highest reflectivity, works well when wet, is a bit stretchy and flexible... all around best in class for the purpose. The catch (there had to be one):
The glue is totally unforgiving. Once it touches down, it stays. If you pull it off, it's probably ruined that part of the piece of tape you are working with. If you actually press it down, it might as well be part of the structure.

Next: Go to local sign/lettering shop and have the following made up to stick to the helmet:

My name
"Neck broken - do not remove helmet"
and two sets (one for each side) of
O-Positive
No Allergies

Totally unnecessary until it's needed. Sort of like a seat belt, or an air-bag.

·
Super Moderator
3,957 Posts
I used to tell new riders that they should ride like they're invisible to other motorists.

Now, some 30 years later, I tell them to ride like other motorists see you, don't care, and want to kill you intentionally.

·
Registered
15 Posts
RIDE PARANOID!!!!

That's what I told my wife and step sons as they started to ride. Riding defensively doesn't cover it. You must ride like the cagers are trying to get you! :shock:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Totally unscientific results are in!

Riding to work in the dark this morning, I noticed that I definitely had a few extra feet behind me. The cagers at stop lights didn't crowd me, and the ones following didn't come rushing up on me. I also didn't get that 'vibe' from cars wanting to pull out into me (just because I think they're out to get me doesn't mean they aren't!).

Then again, the helmet may have had nothing to do with it, and it's just that the serious bone-heads overslept today.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wess said:
Totally unscientific results are in!

Riding to work in the dark this morning, I noticed that I definitely had a few extra feet behind me. The cagers at stop lights didn't crowd me, and the ones following didn't come rushing up on me. I also didn't get that 'vibe' from cars wanting to pull out into me (just because I think they're out to get me doesn't mean they aren't!).

Then again, the helmet may have had nothing to do with it, and it's just that the serious bone-heads overslept today.
It's the stunned rabit effect as they are staring into their own headlights reflected back at them :twisted:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Wess, years ago I had a Liquid Silver Yamaha every cager in the county wanted to pull out in front of. I painted it a very bright yellow and IMMEDIATELY they stopped trying to kill me. Visibility DOES make a difference!

BTW, just what the hell is your avatar a picture of?!! I keep looking at it but it just looks too abstract. Even three shots of tequila didn't help. Maybe it is more decipherable when larger than a postage stamp.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
amain said:
BTW, just what the hell is your avatar a picture of?!! I keep looking at it but it just looks too abstract. Even three shots of tequila didn't help. Maybe it is more decipherable when larger than a postage stamp.
You're drinking your tequila too weak! It's a drawing/painting of someone with their hands down in the crotch area, knees up, sliding down a pole. I'll tell you more detail after the next shot :lol:

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I thought it was a Samurai warrior killing a buffalo. :?:

:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My avatar is of the character Ogami Ito from the Lone Wolf and Cub comic books. Bonus points to Liquid, except he was killing a priest (iirc) (long story, read the book), not a buffalo.
David, what you fantasize about is entirely up to you, but please don't share on a family forum :D

Thanks for the idea Grumpy. I'll start looking for one. I think I saw one that had a constant flicker, and a light sensor so that in the dark the lights are solid on. Others are push button on for a few seconds. Which version were you using?

Amain - I'm seriously considering a new paint job. I really like the blue (besides being the fastest, it looks pretty good), but it's almost invisible. I'll save my pennies, and try to come up with something highly visible, unique, and not terribly painful to look at. :D

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
An all white paint scheme with fluorescent yellow stripes and blue lettering seems to get peoples attention, at least in the UK 8)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wess said:
I'm seriously considering a new paint job. I really like the blue (besides being the fastest, it looks pretty good), but it's almost invisible. I'll save my pennies, and try to come up with something highly visible, unique, and not terribly painful to look at. :D
Well you got an idea there, it is alledgely illigal (in uk) to have reflective patches which are blue on a vehicle but fully legal to have yellow reflective patches.

Why not spray your bike in blue metallic (no law against that) and attach square yellow, reflective, patches to it.

I bet the drivers will see you then :lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
After my accident a year ago, (I didn't see you mate) (or rather the same in french), I started thinking on how I could be seen.

Warchild's (I think, (if someone else, sorry)) LEDs just under the headlights looked good.
For my accident the crash helmet reflective tape wouldn't have made any difference.
What I would like to do, but I believe, totally illegal, is to install aircraft type strobes on each side of the bike. That way, when you are in your lane, minding your own business, the b*** next to you knows your there.

Has anyone else looked into this solution?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts