FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do you think :? something like this could have eventual implications worldwide where the web's concerned? :shock: ..just asking for an opinion...pro con...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't you just love the litigious society in which we now live, the world seems to be going bonkers (allegedly!!) :(

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not to insult the people to the south of me ......but we call it the "American mentality"....because whenever you watch their news, or read their papers, it always seems their thinking if they sue... its "how much money can I get ?"....especially if your in California...all you seem to hear is about somebody suing somebody because they "looked" at them funny! Apparently the automobile companies are terrified of California because of this.....it make you wonder :roll:

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Yeah, the US has developed this cancerous "grievance" mentality where people have invented the "right to not to be offended." It's a form of fascism, imho. There are acutally "speech codes" at some universities that attempt to say that regardless of the intent of the speaker, if the "spoken to" feel offended by the speaker's words, the speaker has committed some kind of infraction. Now how's that gonna work out in the long run? It's complete insanity and leads to a society of whiners obsessed with what others say rather running their own lives. It does not even come close to reflecting the rights of personal liberty and freedom of expression stated in the U.S. Constitution. With people afraid to speak because they are fearful of being financially ruined not by what they say, but by how someone else hears it, well, you couldn't have a more chilling effect on freedom of expression.

BTW, all of your mums wear army boots. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
You got that right 20valves, it wouldn't be as entertaining. Your right about the facism as well. Some of us are turing into whiners and wussies, worring more about what other people are doing/saying then paying attention to our own lives, and its not fair :cry: . I think it is greed that drives the lawsuits. If more people rode motorcycles, the world would be a better place. Hey, I wear Army boots :D

·
Registered
949 Posts
Interesting thread particularly bearing in mind the recent malicious venting by Mr Simpson that suggested violent retaliation against filtering motorcyclists. The balance point that I see is if the public statement made has the potential to cause real physical harm, financial loss or damaged public character then there should be some means of punishing the offender and compensating the person who has suffered the loss.

The real root cause of the problem IMHO is the frustration people experience when they find they can't convince or sway someone else's opinion / thoughts on facts alone. Some debates reach a point very quickly where agreeing to disagree and leaving it at that is the only worthwhile outcome - that is of course unless a session of abuse or biff is really the aim.

The "anonimity" of the internet encourages free speech - it's probably the only international venue where people can express their views without fear of retribution - thats a good thing. It also allows some of the less desirable traits of human behaviour.

Lenz

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Liz,
My solicitors are primed and ready for action at the first sight of anything defamatory or likely to adversely affect my standing in society 8)

especially involving bagpipes or trousers

·
Registered
144 Posts
lenz said:
The "anonimity" of the internet encourages free speech - it's probably the only international venue where people can express their views without fear of retribution - thats a good thing. It also allows some of the less desirable traits of human behaviour.Lenz
Yes, you are right. But the problem is when that "human behaviour" implies apparently "credible" insults / lies that offend someone else's dignity.
Must we allow this because is Internet (and what is writen in Internet chats and foruns is not to be taken seriously), or a public offence is always a public offence? And if so, how can we avoid this without falling into desguised forms of censoring (and a new business for solicitors)?

I really don't know :?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hell, I don't give a rats arse what "nasty names" the itty bitty bad boys want to say to me. I thought motorcycle riders had thick hides and could stand a bit of a "free and frank exchange of views".

Anyone who runs off at the gob on this site because of strongly felt views that have factually thin support runs the risk of being exposed to their peers as ranting dickheads - how embarrassment! Some sites catering for a "younger" more aggressive and competitive group - motox, atv and racing in general seem to run more on emotion than anything else.

If you've got a public persona / character thats as sensitive and easily bruised as Marshman then why wouldn't you have the lawyers poised to pounce.

Lenz

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm From So. Cal. 8) I've never sued anyone :D I don't care what you call me. I Won't Sue. I adjusted the attiude of a door opening
jerk in my youth. I Sure he still has the scrar on his cheek from road rash. :twisted: But nobody suied. :wink: :ale:

·
Registered
728 Posts
lenz said:
If you've got a public persona / character thats as sensitive and easily bruised as Marshman then why wouldn't you have the lawyers poised to pounce.

Lenz
:crylarf: :crylarf: :crylarf:

·
Super Moderator
3,954 Posts
Anyone can sue about anything. The trick is if they can win. Even if they lose, it costs to defend against them. Imagine someone taking usenet so seriously that they appear at a FtF gathering and assault someone. There are some dangerous people out there.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He was joking wasn't he?

Otherwise I may have to sue....

(Was referring to lenz, not bounce :oops:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts