FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday 2 Jan - first ride of the New Year; temps around 32C (90F) at 9:00am when I got to our regular breakfast stop. About 30 bikes already there, and more coming and going. Despite being a hot day, it was looking like being a good day.

It was a sobering day though, as last week a rider went down just 3 k's from home on a favourite little twisty section that I use to 'get my eye in' almost every time I head out. It was on this S-bend:

(This piccie was taken a year ago).
He was not a local rider, and apparently leading a group of 8. He was coming 'towards us' when he lost it, sliding into the other lane. He was hit by a car directly in front of where this piccie was taken, and he died in the spot where the piccie was taken.

So for me it was ride where I was 110% aware of everything - road conditions, other people, etc. And just as well. After breakfast, now heading on another regular twisty section, I crest a blind rise and there is a 4wd (SUV for you 'murcans) doing a 3-point turn and blocking both lanes. The Magnum Blasters got a good workout, as did the Spiegler S/Steel brake lines. Heavy braking, but not emergency stuff. I was really angry, and I told him what sort of idiot I thought he was. (I must test my boots under controlled conditions, because I sometimes am tempted to leave a toe imprint in doors as a permanent reminder to drivers of the stupid things they do, but it would not be a good look to break a toe under those conditions).

Then not even another 10 k's up the road exiting a 180 degree sweeper (lovely left hander, advisory posted at 60 k's, which here makes it a 90 to 100 k, and ends with a gentle S to the right to power out) I do have to emergency brake - this time another idiot is doing a U-turn, again blocking the road just past the corner exit. Probably just as well I was alone, as Zea would have heard language I very, very rarely use. In fact, I didn't even know I knew some of it.

By now I had stopped enjoying the ride - there were really too many idiots on the road. So I rode just long enough to calm down, very sedately, and headed home. Anyway, by now it was over 35C (95F) and getting hotter.

Not a great start to the New Year in some respects; but good enough. No damage done, a reminder to be careful out there, and more riding to be done today.

I wish you all safe riding in 2006, and if you do have close encounters with idiots, may they all end well.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You just never know when the idiots are going to surface. Posting this is timely David. We should all think about it, and be prepared to deal with it.
The last year saw a few close ones for all of us I am sure. Use you instincts folks, and if it's a blind corner, it's a blind corner. It could be gravel, oil or the likes of the idiots David has encountered. Just be ready.
When it is clear sight lines then the FJR is yours to love.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Amen. My New Year's Eve ride was punctuated by a cager losing it on a tight turn headed right for me. Fortunately I heard his tires before I saw him and was able to move over far enough to let his back end swing by me. Scared me poopless! If I had been five seconds earlier I think someone else would be writing about how & when I left the ride...

·
Registered
56 Posts
There is good reason to be paranoid out there.
They (cagers) don't seem to see us. You can run with brights on, wear irridescent yellow clothing and helmet, and dance jigs on your seat, but they still don't see us. A buddy had his ZX12 destroyed yesterday (he was fine) when he was stopped at a traffic light. Some inattentive twat plowed into him from behind.

Then there is all that sand around my area in Winter (I should live in Australia or NZ when it is Winter in Colorado), and all that sand and soil that cars move onto the highway re-entering from turn-outs, even in Summer.

Yup, we must be paranoid and careful.

Ride safe,
Ron

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Good to remember. Gravel, sand, salt dust and road sweating on warmer days are common around here, too.

What the hooey was everybody turning around for?!

:)

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That road heads up into the mountains - picturesque drive with a few touristy things along the way - a dam, a Natural Rock Bridge, etc. Knowing this I always treat drivers as likely to spot their turn at the last moment, etc; but U-turns and 3-point turns are new to me on that road.

Today was far better, with fewer people out; but riding restricted to the morning as the temp was 42C (107F) by lunchtime.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
A young man and his girlfriend pillion killed in Perth this weekend. A woman in a car pulled out of a side road in front of them, even though the guy had his headlight on, it's compulsory here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We have a lot more of those "idiots" here in Turkey. We're used to them :mrgreen:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts