FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Yamaha FJR Gen II 35,000 miles.

I live in New York City and ride everyday year around in 15 degrees as long as bike starts.
Bike wouldn't start this morning. I park on the street and can't use a tender. I've never changed the battery.

I'm ready for a new battery asap.
Recommendations please?
I really don't care about cost or weight. I want reliable and asap.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Best bet is stock Yausa. Although I bought one from the dealer in the spring it was another brand which they told me Yamaha now endorses as stock. Sorry can't remember the brand.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,302 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Yuasa battery!

It is flooded, but is maintenance free! And should work well in cold climates!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2012 Yamaha FJR Gen II 35,000 miles.

I live in New York City and ride everyday year around in 15 degrees as long as bike starts.
Bike wouldn't start this morning. I park on the street and can't use a tender. I've never changed the battery.

I'm ready for a new battery asap.
Recommendations please?
I just went through deciding on an AGM battery (Yuasa) or Lithium. Both are good choices. I Went with the Yuasa because I already have the charger for it, and it is at a good price on Amazon now ($111 at this writing).
Which one, please?
I searched the Yuasa website. It recommended YT14B-BS. 6 in. x 2 3⁄4 in. x 5 3⁄4 in, which fits my bike.
The battery I'm seeing on Amazon $111 is 8 x 7 x 5.25 inches

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
This is the model from the website: STG SKU: 2487-YUAM624B4

The generic Yuasa model number for our bike is: YT14B-BS

Reactions: jmagranniii

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Hmmm, YT14b has larger dimensions that the YTX14 but the X has a lower CCA but the dimensions seem right.

Reactions: jmagranniii

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
HMM, maybe we Are the XT12B-BS model? Heck... I can't remember...

Need more coffee...

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,615 Posts
It is a group 14 size..... YT14B-BS. YT is the aftermarket series.

IF you want the closest to OEM quality, you can order the GT14-B4 from OEM parts suppliers.... Partzilla link........ these are made by at the GS Yuasa plant overseas.

I would advise plugging in a battery tender if it's going to sit for a week, otherwise, longevity will likely suffer. Or go ride. Or disconnect the battery, which will avoid the parasitic drain of the bike's electronics.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I prefer an AGM (Asorbed Glass Mat) which is not the oe battery but I’ve found them to be more durable generally, add-in that they are generally not vented so they don’t leak and theoretically can be mounted in any position and not leak. Still use the same “group” number & Yuasa does make these.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,615 Posts
Steve, the OE battery is indeed AGM (aka VRLA). When mounted on an angle, the preferred is Gel (e.g., on SuperTenere OEM is gel).

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
4 Posts
2012 Yamaha FJR Gen II 35,000 miles. I live in New York City and ride everyday year around in 15 degrees as long as bike starts. Bike wouldn't start this morning. I park on the street and can't use a tender. I've never changed the battery. I'm ready for a new battery asap. Recommendations please? I really don't care about cost or weight. I want reliable and asap.
Yuasa all the way. Can’t go wrong.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts