FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine my surprise when I came back off an exercise in Bavaria to find that my battery was flat! After 4 weeks away. Can't figure out if it was my auto com, heated gloves, alarm, GPS or all of the above. Now completely paranoid that the next time I park up, when I get back to her she will not start....

·
Registered
737 Posts
Now completely paranoid that the next time I park up, when I get back to her she will not start....
Yes, this has happend to many. :shock:

For some reason an FJR (battery)don't like to be idle for longer than two to three weeks. Go figure. :(

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
How old is the battery?

Mine is over 4 years old and still going strong but have used an Optimate while she is stood, even if it's just for a few days. We have three bikes and all are on Optimates.

The alarm will of course drain some of it and using the add-ons whilst riding will not help.

So, would suggest that you get a battery tender and your worries will be minimised.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Stef, it would seem the battery problem you have experienced is not an isolated one. After not using my machine for two weeks earlier in the year the battery would not turn over the engine. Fortunately it had been parked at the top of a hill and I was able to fire it up with a "bump start".

·
Registered
372 Posts
I try to ride as much as I can through the winter, but this year will be doing a strip down clean. All the plastic comes off, a few new farkles and the battery gets a tender for the time that it is off the road.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My previous FJR which was an 03 needed the battery changing at 18months old, despite a battery tender, It was replaced under warranty. I think its pot luck, you can only do your best, its like the question how long will a light bulb last ? the answer is who knows... :?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Since the battery in our FJR is very sensitive to idle time, did anyone out there try an after market battery with better performance? :(

·
Registered
177 Posts
@ Petey - I had my original Gel battery replaced under warranty because it kept going flat, they replaced it with a Yuasa lead acid one which felt much stronger and was able to lie idle a lot longer than 2 weeks.

@ MichaelB - Be careful when bump starting anything fitted with a catalytic converter, unburnt fuel is sent into the Cat destroying it, so I am led to believe.

Malki

·
Registered
91 Posts
malki - Many thanks for the advice; hopefully it was a one off! Stuck at the top of a mountain in France few other options came to mind.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
The cats shouldn't have any trouble with bump starting... not any more than cranking.

If the battery sat dead for long, it's probably gone. I'd guess the alarm may have a tiny draw, and over 4 weeks, that would do it.

A Battery Tender, or Optimate is a must, if it's going to sit.

:)

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
knock wood, my 03 is still running strong on it's original battery. i have a replacement Westco sitting in the box on the shelf for the day it needs replacing. Any time the bike is going to sit idle for more than 3 days, I plug it in to the battery tender PLUS.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My 02 had to have a new battery fitted at the start of the year. Bike was laid up as usual over the winter with a tender fitted to it, started O.K. once tender had been taken off, but would not hold a charge for more than 1-day. It may be that the tender used was not up to the job or possibly as it was connected via a ciggi socket the connection was not so great.

Now I start the bike every 3-4 weeks and run until the Temp gauge reaches normal running, no probs. bike starts first time every time.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Good approach to running the bike thru' the winter, but I would suggest opening the garage door and running her at 3000rpm for at least ten minutes to really charge that puppy.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
FWIW, I never start the engine unless I'm going to ride the bike. I've fouled lots of plugs and carboned up lots of motors before I figured that one out.

I have better luck using the Battery Tender to keep the electrics up to speed, and only start it to ride it. It's been my experience that high performance motorcycle engines just bog up and wet the plugs unless a working load is applied to the motors.

Of course, my bikes are always garaged... if it's sitting out in the weather gathering moisture, perhaps that's another story.

My 0.02 and YMMV, FWIW.

:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
The battery in my FJR was ff'd. (Think the previous owner had never changed it 4years old now)

So just bought a Yausa replacement and an Optimate3.

I want to extend the lead going from the optimate to the bike, to about 10m long. Would this affect the charging in any detrimental way? (Using bog standard 1.5mm 2core cable from local DIY shop)

O and curse Yamaha for their stupid location of the battery and the fiddling required to get at it. /shakes fist.

But bless them for an otherwise perfect machine :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
There will be additional resistance in the line => additional current draw => additional heat.
I don't know how much current you will be drawing, or what the spec on 1.5mm 2 core wire is, but if it's a close match to the OEM cable, and you don't kill your battery before charging it (so it doesn't draw much current), I suspect you would be OK.
If the Optimate (don't have one, so don't know) has a 'deep cycle' function (full discharge followed by full charge) you may want to go with a heavier gauge wire.

Or have I completely forgotten how chargers work & current is constant while voltage varies?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The 1.5mm 2 core is just standard live/neutral copper wire 1.5mm thick (multiple thin strands braided together). If that dont work then I could mount the Optimate outside (says its charges with 0.6Amps if thats any help) but will probably get pinched & I would have to lay out a 240V extension cable out to it :/

·
Registered
117 Posts
The stock battery (GS) in the FJR is pretty much crap.

My '03 has only a paltry 26,000 miles, and the battery has essentially gone tits-up this week. The temps in the high teens didn't help, admittedly.

Even after a night of the Battery Tender humming away, it starts in the morning, though somewhat larthargic about it.

Had to push start it again to get it home, though. That's twice now. Alternator is pumping at a steady 14.2 volts @ 2500 RPM.... the battery is just done. Friggin' POS.... :evil:

Got one of the shit-hot WestCo gel batteries on order, should be here Friday. So I get to freeze my ass off on the R1 for the next 3 days. Great. :evil:

WestCo battery for the FJR1300: 12V14B-4

1 - 20 of 23 Posts