FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went away for three weeks and came home to find.... shock horror... my bike wouldn't start! whats goin on? bike is only one year old and garaged.... conspiracy to make me buy new battery! ...and which idiot put it in the only place harder to get to than the top of everest?...on a tourer?!... is it time to buy a Beemer?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hate to say this but you have evidently never owned a Beemer, I just sold a 1200 CL a few months ago when I bought my FJR, and you had to remove the gas tank to get to the battery, I thought this one was a piece of cake.
loving life
John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Battery

Sounds like bad luck Stef. My 02 has never let me down even after 6 weeks without use (famous last words? :oops: ). i am guessing the battery will be under warranty. If you don't want to buy a beemer
(R1200GS is nice) invest in an Optimate 111: about £35 on ebay. I bought one last week after fitting heated grips to my FJR. I was concerned about lack of use plus the additional loading of the grips during the winter months.
Devon

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
Yep. Always place all my bikes on a tender of some sort that can provide a float charge while also being able to desulfate the battery when it detects it's needed.

GL1500 batteries tended to only last 2.5 years. Replace them then or expect to get stuck out on the road somewhere.

GL1200, GL1100 about the same.

HD could be pushed as easily as it could be kick started.

The FJR is currently at 3 years as of this last October. I have a new WestCo in the box on the shelf in the garage; awaiting the demise of the current OEM battery.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Don't know how cold it gets in Osnabruck, but garaged or not, cold eats a charged battery. Tenders are the only way to go where I live, temps below freezing will do you in quick.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Stef - do you have an alarm on the bike? If so, that can cause a small, but continuous drain.

To help keep the weight down, modern bikes use awfully small batteries. On my '78 BMW R100RS the standard spec is 30 ah whereas the 1200GS has a mere 14 ah jobbie.

As a matter of course, on all my bikes I wire in an Optimate fly-lead directly to the battery and if they stand for more than a week then they get plugged in.

(And Devon - the R1200GS is nice. Totally different to the FJR, but a marvellous go-anywhere-do-anything machine).

·
Registered
168 Posts
stef said:
Went away for three weeks and came home to find.... shock horror... my bike wouldn't start! whats goin on? bike is only one year old and garaged.... conspiracy to make me buy new battery! ...and which idiot put it in the only place harder to get to than the top of everest?...on a tourer?!... is it time to buy a Beemer?
Stef...is that garage of yours heated? I ask because, it has been my observation and experience (I`ve been riding since `69), that unused batterys discharge faster the warmer the environment. Unlike what others may suggest, provided the battery is fully charged in the first place, cold temps actually preserve the charge longer...the warmer the temps the faster the discharge! Ofcourse, we all know there are fewer cold cranking amps available when the battery is cold. I have an unheated garage. It can get to -15 to -20 around here mid winter.The batterys are removed from the bikes in the fall and don`t go back in till late March.They sit on a raised shelf. I charge them every 7-8 weeks with a 2 amp charger. I monitor them through out the winter with a meter.I can typically get 5 years or more of life from those babies. Richf may have something there re: voltage drain! Cheers! :shock:

·
Registered
4 Posts
shuswaper said:
stef said:
Stef...is that garage of yours heated? I ask because, it has been my observation and experience (I`ve been riding since `69), that unused batterys discharge faster the warmer the environment. Unlike what others may suggest, provided the battery is fully charged in the first place, cold temps actually preserve the charge longer...the warmer the temps the faster the discharge! Ofcourse, we all know there are fewer cold cranking amps available when the battery is cold. I have an unheated garage. It can get to -15 to -20 around here mid winter.The batterys are removed from the bikes in the fall and don`t go back in till late March.They sit on a raised shelf. I charge them every 7-8 weeks with a 2 amp charger. I monitor them through out the winter with a meter.I can typically get 5 years or more of life from those babies. Richf may have something there re: voltage drain! Cheers! :shock:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All points taken!

... bought an optimate.... fitted the cables to the bike.... looked at BM but couldn't face giving up my baby!... goin to invest in a spray job this year fit some two brothers cans and ride it to death!.... anyone fancy a long weekend in Germany?.... June July.... free digs and a tour guide?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Stef, if you need a new battery, consider buying an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery. They have very low self discharge, 1-3% per month is the norm. Another huge benfit is there is no liquid/acid to leak or spill out. They will also outlast a gell battery and will crank your engine over fully even down to around 40% of the battery charge.

bikeeffects.com sells them here stateside. Maybe you could cross reference the part# for Germany?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I too suffered from a battery being unable to start the FJR after two weeks without use in Italy last year. Since then, using it every day no repatition, until I garaged it due to the tons of salt being put on our roads. It was hooked up to an Optimate and all was well until two days ago, the light indicating the condition of the battery is now showing it as beyond recovery. Any ideas please as to why this should have occurred?

·
Registered
124 Posts
MichaelB said:
..... until two days ago, the light indicating the condition of the battery is now showing it as beyond recovery. Any ideas please as to why this should have occurred?
Suggest you simply unplug the Optimate from the mains and turn it back on. I've had the same Optimate for several years and it has been connected to about five bikes in that time. Every now and then it will throw in a "Weak" reading on any battery. Turn it off, turn it back on and everything is fine again. No common cause identified, no premature battery failures. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Happens to me too over the last 4 years - I have three Optimates hooked up to three bikes. Can happen more easily if you hook up to a bike that has just been switched off from running.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Many thanks. Switched the unit off, fired up the FJR (terrible rattle from the engine that eventually faded!!) then switched the Optimate back on and all is back to normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had a similar problem. All well until fjr garaged for a short while then RIP battery.
Optimate seemed the solution, though found I had to switch it off after warming bike up and switching on again for best results.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts