FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since the FJR battery is not under the seat and just in case of needing to jump start the bike, has anyone done something for this or does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on a way to extend out cables of some kind to attach to when needing a jump? I know pushing works but without a big hill that’s not an option!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,561 Posts
You mean like this??

Hood Motor vehicle Car Steering wheel Automotive design

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,561 Posts
Really it's two 10 gauge wires to the rear, to the red connector, also feeds the aux. fuse panel under the seat.... jumper cables have mating red connector, they are just standard powersports jumpers with one set of battery clamps snipped off...
OK if you're concerned about getting boosted, that booster guy will have to have cables and you'll have to remove the battery cover........

I wouldn't do this again, I never used them for me and a couple of times for others... get good at getting the battery cover off instead..... and as long as you don't leave the key on, you shouldn't need a boost.......... but you asked, lol. Booster cables take up space you could use for storage of something else.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really it's two 10 gauge wires to the rear, to the red connector, also feeds the aux. fuse panel under the seat.... jumper cables have mating red connector, they are just standard powersports jumpers with one set of battery clamps snipped off...
OK if you're concerned about getting boosted, that booster guy will have to have cables and you'll have to remove the battery cover........

I wouldn't do this again, I never used them for me and a couple of times for others... get good at getting the battery cover off instead..... and as long as you don't leave the key on, you shouldn't need a boost.......... but you asked, lol. Booster cables take up space you could use for storage of something else.
Yes it’s obviously a very seldom issue that comes up or at least it should be. I was wondering if something quick could be done for the future times but this time it was just my starter that blew it for me. Since I replaced the battery awhile back & now the starter is something was just an attach and leave it I thought I might do it. Thanks though you’re always a great help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
I hard wired my trickle charger quick connect leads and tuck it in under the front fairing with zip ties during riding season. If the battery is toasted it isn't worth boosting, just buy a new battery.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I put the Battery Tender SAE/Clamp cables along with a 6’ SAE extension cord on the bike in my toolbag to use as a mini set of jumper cables. Plugs right into my SAE pigtail and is very small and light compared to even the smallest dedicated jumper cables that could find.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Battery Tender pigtails cannot handle the current load of a starter. Learn to remove the battery cover. It only takes a few moments.
Thank you for the information. I know jack squat about electrical stuff, but after googling that, everything I found agrees and says the amperage is far too high for the cable gauge. So thank you in advance for saving me from a fiery death. 😅

I guess I should go the route rbentnail suggested and pickup a lithium battery pack instead.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,561 Posts
Absolutely..... you better have a fuse in that lead (should be a 7.5 amp in it already), and it will blow right away if you try anything crazy. The starter will be at least 40 amps and the wire can only stand about 10-15.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,561 Posts
Well, there's an answer..... 8 ga. wire should handle it for sure! I kinda like that, thanks Deets!
I see an adapter for their booster... likely have to make one up for your specific booster pack.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Battery Tender pigtails cannot handle the current load of a starter. Learn to remove the battery cover. It only takes a few moments.
True that on the load handling as others have said too. That is definitely a prime point not to be taken lightly!

When I added an SAE connector for charging I thought boy I sure don’t want to be getting to the battery on a dark cold rainy night on the side of the road or in a parking lot. It may be easy in the garage, but there are possible situations where it ain’t that easy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
NOCO makes an adapter/cable that lets you charge and appears to let you boost/jump start

Pete
Great suggestion, thank you! Those look pretty nice and would appear to do what I had originally intended with the BatteryTender pigtails and clamps, but with less melty badness. :LOL:

However their connectors appear to be proprietary so it would mean swapping out my BatteryTender chargers for theirs. Their chargers are a bit pricier than the Deltrans, but at least their cable adapters seem reasonably priced.

However I think by the time I bought new chargers and connectors I could buy the Antigravity jump pack which would take up less space on the bike than a set of cables robust/long enough to jump from another source (if there is one around). I think I like the idea of a battery that doesn’t depend on someone else’s vehicle being present a little better, even if I have to pop the plastic over the battery. I have done it enough times now that it is pretty simple and quick.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
True that on the load handling as others have said too. That is definitely a prime point not to be taken lightly!

When I added an SAE connector for charging I thought boy I sure don’t want to be getting to the battery on a dark cold rainy night on the side of the road or in a parking lot. It may be easy in the garage, but there are possible situations where it ain’t that easy.
Seriously, it's 4 fasteners. It takes a moment to access the battery.

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
True, but you can use a 20 amp pigtail to charge the battery.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I found a spare set of pigtails that looked perfect with what looked like 12 gauge wires. When I striped the insulator I discovered what looked like 30 gauge wires hiding in really thick insulator. aka buyer beware chinese yarbage on amazon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts