FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Westco gel battery 12V14 B4 are any good as mine has started to play up?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Can't speak for the Westco Gel, but my dealer replaced my Gel battery under warranty with a lead acid one, and wow did that make a difference, more Oooomph than from new. I think it was Yausa, not sure, never had occasion to look at it again :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Malki.

I have gone a head with the Westco Gel battery as it's cheap £41.00 delivered next day.

Gel batteries are better in the vibration, cold cranking department and loose less charge apparently per month.
Couldn't find the cost of an Lead Acid, so will have to see if it's any good!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
woody said:
......and loose less charge apparently per month.
I can see how that might be important for a bike that isn't used very often.

So you'll be buying one of them then? :wink:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
marshman said:
woody said:
......and loose less charge apparently per month.
I can see how that might be important for a bike that isn't used very often.
So you'll be buying one of them then? :wink:
Well I'm a fair weather rider you know :mrgreen:

Yeh it should turn up today but I'm not desperate.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I got all togged up to go for a blast on Sunday, it being dry and bright, and the forecast for the next week or so not being good. It would have been the first ride for a month or so....Unfortunately, my battery didn't have enough to crank the engine! Bugger! :(

Unfortunately the bike is garaged in an underground, communal garage, which means that there aren't any power points to recharge in situ. Still, it has done me 4.5 years without missing a beat, so I suppose I should consider replacing it.... particularly if I (and Woody) are going to add the Autocomm at Swampfest!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Westco battery turned up yesterday fitted today and fires up the Fjr 1st time no problem at all, only time will tell if the quality is any good but due to the price I could buy 2 for the cost of 1 Yuasa.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I ordered mine yesterday, too late for delivery today, but I have been assured that it will arrive tomorrow!

It does seem very reasonably priced! :D

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just trickle charged the battery with an Optimate and the motor fired up instantaneously never known it start so well.
Well cuffed.

MB: Do you want the van reg? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
401 Posts
@ Woody

Mine arrived yesterday - I was planning on fitting it tomorrow, but I have now been hijacked off to the Millenium stadium and a bar or 2, to watch some rugby, before going on to another bar or 3... :shock:

Given what I said earlier about my not being able to charge the battery whilst in situ, do I need to charge it before fitting it? you had indicated that you fitted it and it fired up straight away.... why did you deem the optimate necessary as well?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Batteries don't usually come fully charged, you should really give it a full charge before fitting.

·
Registered
401 Posts
That's pretty much what I thought, Ian.

The other thing that bothers me is that the website, which supplied these batteries indicates that the guarantee is nulled if you charge the battery using a car charger.

My charger has 6 / 12 volt and trickle / fast charge options, but isn't specifically for a car or bike (or even Jet Ski) all of which I have used it for in the past!

I didn't know whether gel batteries behaved differently or were delivered with a greater partial charge. A car battery stands a better chance of being charged on the car, because of it's more frequent use - not that I'm a fair-weather biker - I just don't get the opportunities Monday to Friday any more...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Pete...the website is correct in so far as standard operating practice goes re: charge rates for bike batteries. The max. you should charge your new battery is 2 amps. If you were to go strictly by the book, use 1/10th of your battery`s rating which in our case (I think), is 1.4 amps. Hence, a 1 to 2 amp charge rate is acceptable and will preserve the unit longer. :shock:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Surely, if you were to put the battery straight on the bike - "out of the box", and then went for a ride, the alternator on the bike would put a much faster charge / stronger amperage through it???

I don't profess to understand physics. I gave it up at 'o' level, and learned even earlier that if you stuck you finger in a wall socket, it bloody HURT! :roll:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Pete said:
Surely, if you were to put the battery straight on the bike - "out of the box", and then went for a ride, the alternator on the bike would put a much faster charge / stronger amperage through it???
When I procured my Westco battery several months ago, I asked about this, as I continue to hear conflicting stories regarding how one treats a new (modern) sealed adsorbed-glass-mat (AGM) battery like the Westco.

The Westco tech support guy stated that you do NOT trickle charge the AGM battery right out of the box, unless you have delayed installing it a month or more after you received it. Otherwise, take it out of the box, into the bike, and fire it up. Apparently, they do all the necessary prep work right before shipping.

I followed those directions when my Westco arrived; it's been working just fine for many months now.....

Mind you, if you buy the Westco from a dealer, and you (or they) don't know how long it's been on the shelf, that's a different story, obviously.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, Warchild, (and also the foresight to ask the question of the dealer!)

Given that Woody put it straight on the bike, out of the box, and fired it up, that is what I will do too.

I can only hope that it hasn't been sitting on the shelf for too long!

At the price of the battery, if I get half the life of the original, then I will be pleased!! :wink:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Warchild, It would have been nice if they put a leaflet in the box about that! Too late now, anyway it's better for it.

@Pete, If was going for a blast I wouldn't have bothered either but I just plugged it in.

But since it's come all the way from Vietnam I should think it's ready for a trickle by now. :wink:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Looks like the only way to meet all requirements, is to fit it soon and go for a blast!

Sh*t happens.... :lol:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts