FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,

Hope this helps someone - I was having trouble with the dreaded handlebar vibration, put on BMW touring grips, heavier bar ends but it didn't stop the right hand going to sleep. I looked up the engine mount torque specs & re-torqued the bolts - viola - it cured the vibration. Mine was below torque from the factory.

Cheers,

Nick
Outbackoz

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
What year bike, Nick?

I had a great decrease in my handlebar vibration on my '06 after retorquing my steering head bearings and in the process found the top clamp nut to be way under-torqued. I also adjusted the bars and made sure those bolts were properly torqued as well.

When shipped, I believe the bikes are secured in the shipping crate with a nut on the steering stem bolt. Dealer may not have torqued to spec after removing.

Anyway, your suggestion is a good one. Proper torquing on things has the potential make some nice and noticeable detail improvement to the bike's performance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Torque specs

I have the same problem but do not have access to the specs. Could you please supply them and specifiy the nut location. I am assuming it is the center nut directly behind the handlebars.

Thanks

Gordon

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I'm not at the house right now and don't have the spec in front of me. I think it is 85Nm. You'll need to loosen the fork tube clamps bolts first though, and retorque those after the steering stem nut (24Nm?).

And yes, the steering stem nut is the large alloy (36mm?) nut between and slightly below the handlebar mount points.

Can anyone confirm these numbers for Gordon?

·
Registered
3 Posts
:? I have an 06 with 1500 miles on it, the engine mounts and steering are to specs. I am still getting vibration, really shows up at 70 MPH and Higher !! Is this vibration normal at higher speeds??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.