FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on bar end nut removal, you know, the nut encased in rubber inside the handlebars? I’ve tried pulling, tapping, oiling and twisting. I’m avoiding removing the grips and heating the bar for now. I certain it’s removable, as it’s available as a replacement part. Looks to be just a rubber cylinder with nut.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,170 Posts
It's a wedge type thing. Get a long bolt or a piece of threaded rod the same sized and thread pitch as the regular bar end screw. Screw it in and push and gently pull. Repeat if necessary. It'll come out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My OEM inserts were a press fit deal. ThrottleMiester throttle lock bar ends came with a tool that slides over the end of the handlebar tube with a puller bolt that draws the insert out. Without that tool I'd have been looking at the slide hammer option.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, I’m reconsidering whether I need to do this “upgrade” or was it a mistaken late night eBay purchase.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I think he's replacing his bar ends and is having an issue after removing the retention bolt.

If I'm understanding this correctly, as you tighten the bolt it will "squish" the rubber piece, which expands and holds it tight from the inside of the bar.

Re-installing the bolt, but not tightening it, you are trying to relieve the tension on the expanded rubber by moving the nut slightly to the interior of the bar. At the same time you want to be working the exterior end to pull it out. That rubber gets "set" after years of being there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree about the need. I have end weights on my BMW, but never felt the need for any on my Feejer. The grip Puppies take the vibration out of the grips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts