FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned to Germany from the UK after having a pair of MeZ6's fitted and a Wilbers shock withHigh/Low speed damping and remote pre-load. Travelling at 65 - 70 was terrible and more than that impossible! The vibration is so bad I had to slow down. My dealer says it's the shock! Any suggestions please.... Suspensions settings/tyre pressures etc.. I have changed some of the shock settings with no discernable difference...

·
Registered
632 Posts
It's almost certainly the tyres which need rebalancing. I suggest you get that sorted asap and then see about the shock if no difference.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I would think it's the tyres, But check the Hi/Low is not set to high as they can lock up the rear and stop it moving.
Also did you have both fitted at the same time?

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Set your shock to a softer setting so it will allow more movement and if the problem still exists it looks like the tyres to me.

Were they statically balanced or electronically? As the latter can give problems.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Static, my shock instructions are in German which, though I speak it, uses different terminology.... closed and open are terms used for the High/Low damping, same for the ring on the end of the shock arm...

·
Registered
949 Posts
Shocks only respond to input.

Rebalance the tyres and also check for run out (variation in tyre radius) by inspection on the bike or at the tyre fitter.....THEN.. move on to the shock if necessary.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
lenz said:
Shocks only respond to input.
Agree 100% here. The shock itself cannot induce the movement, only fail to stop it. Poor shock performance tends to be up and down low frequency, high amplitude bouncing. Vibration is most likely coming from the tires.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Also the tyre fitters could have damaged the wheel bearings when refitting which happened on the early 01 models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A shock is not going to cause that problem unless it was unbolted or something radically wrong like that.

Look at both tires where they meet the rim to see if the tire was mounted wrong. there are rings in the tire mold around the circumference of the tire bead area. See if they are symetrical. I have seen tires mounted incorrectly with the bead sitting deeper into the rim on one side causing the tire to be lopsided.

also spin the wheel by hand and see if you can see anything abnormal. If not. it is probably grossly out of balance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts