FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, 8)

While out on the FJR the bars what to turn right just as if I was counter steering into a left hand bend.

After about 30 miles I'm finding my right arm aching :( from pushing on the right bar to stay straight.

I've not crashed the bike etc and It's not always been like this, but now with some long bike tours planned it would be fab if you lot can come up with a fix it plan! :wink:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Could be a lot of things I would get the bike totally serviced to spec and double check.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Mine does the same alltorque, but I think its me not the bike. If I let go of the bars there's no sudden veering off to one side and it tracks in a reasonably straight line. The only way I can think that I'm pushing so hard on one bar and still running straight is that I must unconciously ride with a bit of a lean to one side.

But I could well be wrong

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Do the forks on these things ever get twisted, like when you crash a dirt bike? Did somebody bump the front wheel at an angle and twist the forks (in the trees) without knocking the bike over?

Just wondering.

:)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Try loosening the pinch bolts on the forks and loosening the pinchers and axle bolt on the front wheel as well. Then retorque everything and give it a ride. If that doesn't do it then let a shop give a look.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
New front tyre? balanced?

Flat(ish) tyre?

Front right side brake pads binding - strip, clean, lubricate pistons (Castrol Red Rubber Grease is best), copperslip on back of pads.

Check run out on front brake disc (warped/binding?)

Check for Gremlins, they get everywhere........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replys. :wink:

The type pressure is spot on and the front wheel spins freely with no binding.

While riding if i take my hands off the bars the bike DOES veer off and i would have to move my body weight right over to compensate to stay in a straight line.

It's really doing my head in. :(

It's going into the shop in 2 wks for a new cooling fan, so i'll keep you all informed what he can come up with!

I would still like to hear your ideas as to whats up.

Cheers,

Alltorque 8)

·
Registered
103 Posts
check that the suspension settings are the same on both forks, if you've left it parked out in the open some sicko may have tweeked them.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Didn't Ph62 (one of the regulars from the previous incarnation of FJROwners) have a similar problem? Seem to remember that his dealer tried all sorts of things to cure it, but nothing really made a big difference, until one day it started pulling in the opposite direction.

Sorry, not much help really :(

·
Registered
274 Posts
Same symptoms as you describe, and it was exactly as `coppertop` has just posted,
one so called friend had altered the front suspension on one side `for a laff`....

no probs to recify, just remembering your original settings is the problem... :D

The so called friend dont have the pleasure of my company anymore :wink:

Reeso...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Tyre wear and not pressure may also be a factor. I remember seeing my front tyre, which had worn past it's due date, and when I went to the dealer to get it replaced, he told me that it was quite normal for a tyre to wear more on one side than the other. This takes road camber and other factors, like the way you go round roundabouts etc into consideration.

therefore, in the UK, driving on the LHS of the road it is th RHS of the tyre which wears more - this may affect the balance...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Guys,

Tyre wear due to road camber.

It sounds silly :shock: but the more you think about it the more it could be the case.

I think i'll have a look at fork settings then when it's time to replace the rear tyre i'll do the front as well.

Cheers.

Alltoque :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts