FJR Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is a real long shot but I figure I would ask on a few forums and see if anybody had a lead.
I have been looking for one of these belts for a while now and aside from a single EBay seller that has not / will not respond and want's far too much (IMHO) and a single ended auction years ago I cannot find one. They were manufactured and sold out of Alberta Canada and hoping that with the amount of Canadians in here and Fathers/Grandfathers there may be a chance, even if it is miniscule, that someone might have one of these sitting in storage or their garage. I intend on bringing my daughter along this spring/summer on rides and showing her the ropes. All of the other devices I have seen I do not feel like they are adequate for the job. Most of them are cheap Chinese wrap arounds, do not have a spacer pad, don't sit high enough on the child to protect from a unplanned nap and just seem pretty shotty. I like this design and my only other option will be to construct one out of much of the same materials I already use for shooting/hiking etc. (I am fairly well stocked with MOLLE gear) I know the chances are slim to none but figured I would put it out there.
Brown Luggage and bags Orange Bag Red

Helmet Vehicle Smile Motor vehicle Motorcycle helmet

· Premium Member
2,299 Posts

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at one of these for my 7 year old. I do have a Buddy Belt with handles to grab onto but I like this better as it will tie him to me, for the reasons you stated...

I was looking at this one as well. My issue is I know that the spacer "pillow" will be an essential aspect of the experience for not only her but my back as well. I want her to be able to move her helmet around freely and take in the surroundings and the "aspect ratio" that you don't get in a vehicle. A lot of the current solutions have the child pressed firmly against your back, and while this one does seem to provide more security in terms of stability it also would have her chin pointed to the sky in our upright seating positions. I think it would work very well on a supersport though as the driver is more leaned forward.
My other concern is when getting off and on the bike. I like how the belt solution allows for you to take the belt off and to put it back on easily when the child is on the back of the bike. While the backpack support I am sure comes off and on with a bit more effort but still doable.

· Premium Member
2,299 Posts
I think it's probably a bit of a pain to strap it on your kid, mount yourself on the bike, then strap yourself in too.

And I get what your saying about the kid being pressed up against you that they become "fixed" in place and can't take it all in.

· Registered
651 Posts
I know it is a real long shot but I figure I would ask on a few forums and see if anybody had a lead.
I have been looking for one of these belts for a while now and aside from a single EBay seller that has not / will not respond and want's far too much (IMHO) and a single ended auction years ago I cannot find one. They were manufactured and sold out of Alberta Canada and hoping that with the amount of Canadians in here and Fathers/Grandfathers there may be a chance, even if it is miniscule, that someone might have one of these sitting in storage or their garage. I intend on bringing my daughter along this spring/summer on rides and showing her the ropes. All of the other devices I have seen I do not feel like they are adequate for the job. Most of them are cheap Chinese wrap arounds, do not have a spacer pad, don't sit high enough on the child to protect from a unplanned nap and just seem pretty shotty. I like this design and my only other option will be to construct one out of much of the same materials I already use for shooting/hiking etc. (I am fairly well stocked with MOLLE gear) I know the chances are slim to none but figured I would put it out there.
View attachment 90237
View attachment 90236
I believe that this is the harness you're looking for. Mine is the original version with D-ring type straps for the child to grab on to. I seem to recall that later versions came with handlebar-like handholds. The manufacturer went out of business many years ago and I bought this one from ParkerBros Powersports in Toronto, also now out of business.

It is very easy to use: Secure the child in the harness, climb onto your bike and lift the child up and swing him/her behind you while you are straddling the bike (with the bike on its side stand, of course), then sit down and secure the belt around your waist. The thick inner belt can be a little short to wear over your riding jacket (or of you're a full-figured fellow) but the belt that goes over top of the thick belt and around both you and the child is long enough for all but the largest of us!

I may be willing to part with this. PM me and we can talk.

Haynes

Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Synthetic rubber
Leg Bag Art Luggage and bags Font

· Registered
557 Posts
My corbin passenger back rest snugs wifey in pretty tight to me, with the panniers on you'd be hard pressed to fall off.

Are these belts supposed to tie the passenger to the rider? They don't look too comfortable for anyone. Passenger in the photo appears to have to lean back and balance a heavy helmet all the time. Think bobble head going on back there. Personally I would think tying to the driver is less safe for everyone.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My corbin passenger back rest snugs wifey in pretty tight to me, with the panniers on you'd be hard pressed to fall off.

Are these belts supposed to tie the passenger to the rider? They don't look too comfortable for anyone. Passenger in the photo appears to have to lean back and balance a heavy helmet all the time. Think bobble head going on back there. Personally I would think tying to the driver is less safe for everyone.
They’re for children typically under 10 that may possibly fall asleep or be slightly “fidgety” for added safety when teaching them to ride. Definitely not for a “Wifey” style pillion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts