FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, new to the forum. I just got my FJR a couple weeks ago. Still reading, and watching as much as I can. When I got the bike, she came with a few mods. The main one was 35mm Lust Racing kit. I rode about 1000 miles with the lower link. I'm 5'8", and having almost my both feet flat on the ground was very tempting. But I just don't like the idea of changing the geometry of the bike.
Today I changed them back, and put back the original links. I checked all my front and rear suspension settings: spring pre-load, rebound and compression. They all are still on the original settings.
My question is how do I know if when the previous owner installed the kit, if he did something else to compensate, and changed the front suspension up or down?
I can't ask him, I have to figure this out on my own.
Thank you
G.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The few times I have seen a lowering kit on an FJR, the only change made in addition to the longer links was lowering the bike on the fork tubes so the tubes stuck out above the top clamp 0.5" - 1.0". If the tubes are flush with the top clamp, then you should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,165 Posts
Original dogbones were 190mm center to center. Forks may have been raised in the triple clamps..... leave them up 10mm or so, better handling.
Yamaha standard settings for damping are a bit lame... fork springs are undersprung..... crank the preload in until perhaps 2 lines showing (assuming you weigh 170-ish? If 200, crank them all the way in. Set damping at 8 clicks out each and tweak from there.

Reactions: gebb68

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
416 Posts
Check the side stand also. Some folks just bend, some cut and weld, others replace with adjustable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The few times I have seen a lowering kit on an FJR, the only change made in addition to the longer links was lowering the bike on the fork tubes so the tubes stuck out above the top clamp 0.5" - 1.0". If the tubes are flush with the top clamp, then you should be good to go.
By the "clamp" is that black sleeve seating on top of the dust cap and fork seals?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the "clamp" is that black sleeve seating on top of the dust cap and fork seals?
Disregard my comment/question. I found an article that explain it. the triple clamps are actually on the very top, close to the adjustments nobs. I see a picture where the guy actually lower the front about an inch, in order to get more cornering easier.
And yes, my is flush with the clamp, so I guess that's how it is supposed to be.
Well, this brings me another question, the guy in this article uses the rear on HARD and he raised the forks about an inch, and also changed the dog bones , raising the rear. Sharpening the steering angle.
He claims that made a big difference on how the bike corners and steers.
I don't know...
What do you guys think about it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Original dogbones were 190mm center to center. Forks may have been raised in the triple clamps..... leave them up 10mm or so, better handling.
Yamaha standard settings for damping are a bit lame... fork springs are undersprung..... crank the preload in until perhaps 2 lines showing (assuming you weigh 170-ish? If 200, crank them all the way in. Set damping at 8 clicks out each and tweak from there.
I'll ride with them on the original setting for a bit. See if I can tell any difference from the lower links, But I may try your suggestion later on.
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll ride with them on the original setting for a bit. See if I can tell any difference from the lower links, But I may try your suggestion later on.
Thanks
I'm 200 ponds and my preload is Standard 10mm/039" I can see 2 lines almost 3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you say 8 clicks out, do you turn them all the way in and then 8 clicks or from center?

·
Super Moderator
3,931 Posts
hello, new to the forum. I just got my FJR a couple weeks ago. Still reading, and watching as much as I can. When I got the bike, she came with a few mods. The main one was 35mm Lust Racing kit. I rode about 1000 miles with the lower link. I'm 5'8", and having almost my both feet flat on the ground was very tempting. But I just don't like the idea of changing the geometry of the bike.
Today I changed them back, and put back the original links. I checked all my front and rear suspension settings: spring pre-load, rebound and compression. They all are still on the original settings.
My question is how do I know if when the previous owner installed the kit, if he did something else to compensate, and changed the front suspension up or down?
Thank you
G.
Without a detailed service folder with all receipts with date/time/miles for each item, you can't. It's why look for that folder for any used bike. Without it, I may walk, but with it, you have a better chance of a sale and a higher negotiated price.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
818 Posts
Welcome to the horde, Geb! Be among friends!

Please put your year, model in your profile, so we can see what bike you have. It kinda matters on some items.

Also, a pic is mandatory! LOL

·
Registered
903 Posts
Thank you
G.

not a lot o adjustment to be had

if U have reinstalled orig linkage all should be good

1 - 14 of 14 Posts