FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm awaiting my new 2006 fjr and am inetersted in a back rest. In the Yamaha literature they have 2 options - first is the luggage compartment with the backrest on the front - the second is a ring shaped backrest with which you have to buy a new seat (Looks like a Corbin). I just want a simple backrest so my daughters don't fly off the back but don't want to buy a luggage compartment or a new seat. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Me too...

I bought a Corbin Oval Back backrest for my Hayabusa, but they were out of the required rear Corbin seat at the time and I never got around to purchasing the seat so I could use the backrest. It is still wrapped in plastic setting on top of my gun safe. Now that I have an '06 FJR ordered, one idea I had was to ask my local machine shop to make me a mount for that backrest for my FJR. The backrest on the Yamaha site looks like the one I have. The other examples I have seen on the internet of people who did basically what I am proposing, made brackets that mount to the luggage rack. I am waiting to receive my FJR so I can see how the luggage rack mounts so that I can come up with a design for support of the backrest. I will at that time let the machine shop make the bracket out of 6061 aluminum or something so that it will look like it belongs on the bike.

Out of all the accessories that exist for the FJR, I am surprised that there is not a backrest option as described herein readily for sale. I don't desire the Corbin seat because of their reputation of being overly firm. I also don't desire to pay the price that they command for their products. It may also be a while before they even have one available for the '06. I, like you, just want a nice looking functional backrest for my wife and kids. That is the reason I ordered the '06 FJR in the first place, so that the wife and kids would enjoy riding with me.

It is starting to get warmer here in Northeast Arkansas, USA, so it is about time to put the Busa up for sale and make room for the FJR. Only 3500 miles since new and adult ridden, of course... :wink:

too_many_hobbies[/img]

·
Registered
32 Posts
On track...

Garauld,

You are on track with your current design. What I have in mind though is really only a couple of arms that mount to existing bolts with spacers that would come as close to being unnoticable as possible but still provide a sturdy mount. After I can actually put my hands on my '06, I may send you a drawing of what I am describing. I commend you on your current contribution and your design was the one I was thinking of when I wrote the previous post.

Thanks,

too_many_hobbies

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep me in the loop

Sounds as if you both have given this a great deal of thought. Please do keep me in the loop as to your designs as they develop (when these 06s actually arrive!)

Thank for your help.

Gordon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Garauld said:
The problem is that no '06 machines have been delivered in the states and it's tough to make it based on a photo...
Gerauld, Have you modified your backrest to fit the '06' yet? My '06 came in last week and a backrest for the wife is the first upgrade....

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts