FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of spam posts with this new software package - Don't need a new credit card, a Russian date, or help locating cannibis. Is that an attempt to push to premium member status or other issue?

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,084 Posts
There were spam posts with the old software too..... if I were admin, I'd put more qualifying questions into the sign-up process........ I'm sure the techies know ways to prevent.

Reactions: Mr_Ed and bounce

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't remember that many so maybe just more frequent now.

·
Registered
2008 FJR
66 Posts
Yeah, it feels like perhaps with the new software (which I'm loving, btw - it works so much better on mobile/tablets especially), there is less rigor in creating/approving accounts - or perhaps the spambots recognize the software being used and know of a back door. Pretty damned aggravating.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
A frustrating aspect of the spam is that we seem to have an absentee landlord. No reason these posts should not be removed within 12 hours of being posted, but takes over a week quite often.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
yes it takes time, this forum is only 0.02 % of the total VerticalScope Inc business :rolleyes: ...pick your number and wait....and wait.....and w....

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
A single MacDonalds Store probably represents a similarly small portion of the MacDonalds Corp. They seem to manage not having to wait too long for an order of fries. VerticalScope is evidently managed by a bunch of incompetent dolts.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
8,063 Posts
Instead of bitching, why not do something about it? PM admin and volunteer to become a moderator. But be prepared- this thread is indicative of the shit coming your way 24/7. Someone somewhere will complain when you delete a spam thread, "b/c we were having fun being silly in that thread." I'm not kidding- people actually did that shit.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I reported every one of them yesterday as spam and those posts are still up....what the hell admins?
Here's the pattern of every motorsport forum I've ever seen.

1. Enthusiast puts their heart into creating and growing a new forum.
2. Done well enough that their membership grows substantially.
3. As does the admin load with the increased traffic.
4. Commercial company scoops up the site for $ and adds it to their growing portfolio.
5. The new owners put enough effort into it to put their mark on the site.
6. New owners move on to the next acquisition and ignore the care-and-feeding part once the ad stream kicks in.
7. Members keep coming by and participating as the site coasts.
8. Spammers continue to hit the site as always but now their posts stay up for days instead of minutes.
9. Word gets out and spammers swoop in; destroying any usefulness.
10. Members find less and less reason to visit and the forum dies on the vine.

We are at step 8.

Instead of bitching, why not do something about it? PM admin and volunteer to become a moderator.
That could have worked at an earlier stage. Once the absentee ownership started, the requests to help will go ignored like the spam posts.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I don't remember that many so maybe just more frequent now.
They seemed to hit in waves. The same new user posted several a few days back. I remember that happening on the old software as well. The fact that they hit so soon after the new software going online may make it seem like it's due to the software, but they probably would have hit no matter what.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
They seemed to hit in waves. The same new user posted several a few days back. I remember that happening on the old software as well. The fact that they hit so soon after the new software going online may make it seem like it's due to the software, but they probably would have hit no matter what.
It's less about the spammers than the lack of quick response. As long as their stuff has some time being visible, they'll keep coming back. It will snowball until the site is flooded unless the admins start taking a more direct hand in clamping down on it.

·
Registered
On the fence
4 Posts
I hope I don't offend anyone here being a Noob.
I'm curious how the Report feature is handled. If it needs manual intervention, then the problem may become unscalable and we may get to steps 9 and 10 outlined [B.S credit card and pot posts?]
Perhaps we should consider crowd sourcing spam blocking. We usually spot a Spam post within the first line of the post. If we have a mark as spam toggle (as opposed to report which can be used for other violations) we can use spam scoring on the post to weed it out. This may be based on a threshold, so that at least that many forum participants need to report it as spam before the filter weeds a post out. Privilege to report spam could be withheld from those who abuse the feature to take down posts they do not like.

Obviously this needs tinkering with forum software and I have no knowledge on how customizable it might be.

Machine learning solutions to identify spam are also possible; but at a higher cost.
==Ram

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
These should be cleaned up now, might need to recruit some additional Mods to help out.

Anybody interested in helping out?

Jeff
If you are looking for someone to just delete spammers posts I'd help out. I am not "web savvy" regarding more administrative tasks and blocking IP's, (and I'm sure there's more to it than just that) but if you can grant the authority to delete spammer posts I'd gladly help.

Reactions: bounce

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I hope I don't offend anyone here being a Noob.
I'm curious how the Report feature is handled. If it needs manual intervention, then the problem may become unscalable and we may get to steps 9 and 10 outlined [B.S credit card and pot posts?]
Perhaps we should consider crowd sourcing spam blocking. We usually spot a Spam post within the first line of the post. If we have a mark as spam toggle (as opposed to report which can be used for other violations) we can use spam scoring on the post to weed it out. This may be based on a threshold, so that at least that many forum participants need to report it as spam before the filter weeds a post out. Privilege to report spam could be withheld from those who abuse the feature to take down posts they do not like.

Obviously this needs tinkering with forum software and I have no knowledge on how customizable it might be.

Machine learning solutions to identify spam are also possible; but at a higher cost.
==Ram
The REPORT function is fine and doesn't need "custom code" to add another button that would then need rejiggering at every system update. Reports are there and simply entering SPAM into it should be sufficient. It's about response times and absentee admins.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
So, I'm guessing that all but about 1000 of these are spammers and not members, right?

Reactions: bounce

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Haha, yeah but since 2001, I think they'd have to count all the spammers to get to 108,000 members.

·
Registered
On the fence
4 Posts
The REPORT function is fine and doesn't need "custom code" to add another button that would then need rejiggering at every system update. Reports are there and simply entering SPAM into it should be sufficient. It's about response times and absentee admins.
I guess I did not make the distinction clearer. My solution proposes there be no intervention required from mods to pull the post down. If we can accomplish with the Report function, I have no problems with it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts