FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Piaa 910s and was thinking of mounting them on Old Blue. Anyone out there have any pictures of any aux lights mounted on an FJ or have seen any clean instellations and could pass on some suggestions?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Chaz,
With respect to your question about aux. lighting, I just wanted to tell you, and others, of my experience with aux. lighting.
I did quite a bit of research prior to my installation and looked at HID lights and decided against them due to the cost!!!!!, ballast location hassles and aesthetics(too big).
I also considerded some motolights. Very nice but a bit pricey!
I liked the mounting scheme of the motolights down low to give a better light spread down low and not blinding oncoming traffic.
What I finally decided to do was purchase some aux. driving lights off e-bay. They are copies of some PIAA lights(don't know what model), they are about 3 inches in diam(total) and about 3 1/2 inches long with 55watt bulbs. They have diachromatic lenses (thick glass domes)(good for small rocks,etc.) and are exactly the same colour as the forks and came complete with a wiring harness, mounting brackets, relay and on/off switch with internal LED.
Now the best part< they cost me$30.00 (yes, thats thirty dollars!!!!) DELIVERED TO MY DOOR! I couldn't believe it. Well, I thought that if they were crap, I could allways just give them away. Boy, was I surprised!
I made two small L shaped brackets from some extruded aluminium(originals were s/steel but I didn't like them) so I didn't have to bend the brackets thus weakening them.
The brackets are attached to the fork with the bolts that hold on the front mudgaurd with a castle washer between the bracket and the mudgaurd to prevent slippage of the brackets. I mounted the on/off switch on top of the left side handlebar control with the double-sided tape on the bottom of the switch. The switch is quite small and the inernal led lets me know when the lights are on or off.
I got hold of some s/steel cable armour and put this on the wires from the lights to up under the fairing. I can easily adjust them up and down as well as left and right in a matter of seconds.
They work brilliantly and I just leave them on all the time. At night the difference is very dramatic!!! During the daytime people see you a lot better and when riding on the freeway in the fast lane, people just get out of your way! I suspect they think it's a cop bike, I don't care as long as they see me, and they do!!
The installation looks great and they work much better than my expectations. When I figure out how to post pics on this site, I'll take some of my install and post them.
So, to cut a long story short, with a little research and some work, you can have a great aux. light install without spending a small fortune and have great results.
Ride safe and be seen!

·
Registered
122 Posts
swannie007 said:
...The installation looks great and they work much better than my expectations. When I figure out how to post pics on this site, I'll take some of my install and post them.
So, to cut a long story short, with a little research and some work, you can have a great aux. light install without spending a small fortune and have great results.
Ride safe and be seen!
Thanks for the info, please send me the pics and I will be happy to post them up for you under this thread - I can't wait to see how the install looks.
If you want to give it a shot yourself, one of the easiest methods is to upload the pics to a free service like www.photobucket.com and simply paste the automatically generated links (for each photo) into your post.

My email is:
[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b87/klauzja/SHUTO1K/JKEmail.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,978 Posts
http://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/mods/cans/tester.jpg

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/detail?.dir=a2b7&.dnm=27d2.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/detail?.dir=a2b7&.dnm=5f9f.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/detail?.dir=a2b7&.dnm=ad85.jpg&.src=ph

High and wide is the place to put your aux lighting if you want lumens down the road. If you want light to see better, it puts it high to get it down range and wide to better help your binocular vision triangulate obstacles in the road.

Low and narrow is okay if you are wanting to add marker lights that help others see you better. Otherwise the light gets "consumed" by the pavement before it can get down range far enough to make a difference in your ability to see something with enough time to take action.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Welcome to the board, mehaffydr.

What part of town are you in?

Or should I ask, "What high school did you go to?" :lol:

:)

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Re: HID

mehaffydr said:
I am southwest of St. Louis in cedar hill.
Went to Parkway South
Cool man! I'm in Wildwood, not too far away... just up the street from Lafayette High School Most of my Sunday rides are west and down toward Potosi, DD, 32, Y, etc. I went to LaJew, er... Ladue. :lol:

Do you ever get out with Bob Lamear and the local HSTA folks? Bob has a set of deer-blinders like those. Super nice guy, and fun to ride with... but they stop too long at lunch for me. :mrgreen:

(sorry, hijacking ends after this :oops: )

:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.