FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case you guys didn't know, Autocom have a 50% sale on just now. I just bought the top of the range Pro 7 Sports kit complete with all the leads to connect to CD,MP3,Phone, extra headset and Mic, helmet extension leads and a bike specific hardwire kit for £202, damn fine deal if you ask me!

Not advertised on their website...phone them.

http://www.autocom.co.uk

Malki

·
Registered
401 Posts
Pro 7

having seen the "50%" sale at the NEC on Wednesday, I very nearly bought the mid-range one for £120. you would then have to buy the radio transceivers - they were offering Motorola T5442 twin packs for an extra £60.

I am glad I didn't, because I saw the Pro 7 on ebay, brand new from Bill Head's in Preston for £110 including postage (buy now price). I have just bought this and am currently bidding for the transceivers!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Pete

be sure the transceivers are good quality - I bought a pair (as recommended by Autocom at the time - don't recall the model/make) and they were pants - ended up selling them at a considerable loss

ended up with a ICOM - V.G.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Cheers, daftlad. the ones that I am bidding for are those recommended and offered for sale at the Autocom stand at the NEC and they are brand new.....

Let's hope that they were different to the ones you had the misfortune to have!!

The write-ups look reasonable on them, so I will just have to wait and see...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ah well at least you read up about them - I just blindly accepted what the salesman told me. Still you live and learn eh?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just purchased a pro 7, along with CD/MP3leads, extra length head set leads, 2xhead sets and motorcycle hardwire kit from Autocom for £174. Phone lead for my phone is £14 approx. Very happy with that deal :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Is anyone using a Pro 7 with custom moulded earplugs/in-ear-speakers?

·
Registered
721 Posts
me too, but I assume you want more info? :?:

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Yes, more info is wanted.

Background: I currently use the Pro M1, with moulded earplugs/in-ear-speakers. Only used as rider/pillion intercom at this stage.

I am considering upgrading to the Pro 7, but I thought I had heard that it wasn't possible to connect these to the 7-pin plug on the Pro 7.

Info needed: is there a 'plug and play' adapter? How do you connect? How is the volume?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The American site lists an adapter for just that purpose. "7 Series In Ear Cable Extension" or some such...
'View All Products', and you'll find it in short order. There is a 5-pin version, and a 7-pin version available. Order appropriately.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Autocom have adapters available for a normal 3.5mm jack. The Autocom ones allow you to keep the original speakers in place and the adapter fits in between your normal lead and the headset. The company I got my earplugs from also do their own adpaters and you can choose from 3.5mm jack and the bigger TP-120 military spec jack. They have within that two versions, the Autocom plug in adapter and another one that replaces the in helmet speakers all together simply by unplugging the speakers and plugging in the adapter instead. I have this and find it more comfortable than having the speakers in place.

Headset Services Limited

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
David, We got our earmoulds before Autocom brought out the new leads, so had to use the adapters like Ian mentioned. These were a two minute job to install, as they just plug into the helmet loom instead of the speakers, so no further modifications to the helmet were needed.

Using the ear plugs also means no more trimming bits out of the lining to fit the speakers, and they are guaranteed to be in the right place first time. There's just the extra socket dangling out of the helmet next to the Autocom one, so connecting up when you want to go for a ride is just a matter of pushing in a plug once you've put your helmet on.

Volume wise is where the Autocom Pro 7 falls down a bit. For me, it's two settings (selected by inserting a plug into the intercom unit) are either 'loud', or 'blast your head off' :shock: Initially Christine didn't want to have the earmoulds made as shes got a bit of a thing about having stuff in her ears, but we found it impossible to get the system to work properly with one of us using earmoulds and the other using helmet speakers. The volume is either way too loud for the one with the plugs so you end up sitting in silence, or too quiet for the one with helmet speakers, and you shout all the time.
After a couple of months, when she finally had some made, Chris's came with an inline volume control so she can set her volume how she likes. However, I find that when the Pro 7 is on its quiet volume setting it's about right for a high speed blast, but for a gentle Sunday afternoon bimble it's just a smidgen louder than it needs to be.

The sound quality is first class. If you play music through your intercom then you will really notice the change, and because the in ear speakers are fitted in sound absorbing earplugs you can turn the volume on the player right down and still hear every note.

For my money, they are expensive, but well worth it if you do a lot of two up riding. 8)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts