FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

picked my 03 FJR up the other day and am soooo pleased with it.

Am trying to fit my autocom system to it but having problems with the finding power source.

I've searched this site and tried the "brown" from the brake area but it didnt seem to work. Disconnected the bike power, connected the p9 battery and yeah ho music.

So, I'd be very grateful if someone could please do a step by step (with pics of the power source cable if poss please.....

Thanks in advance,

Daren

·
Registered
8 Posts
Daren,
Can you please post the link to the wiring diagram as I’m also installing an Autocom in my 2005 FJR.

Steve

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you're installing the Autocom, don't start until you have twice the time available you think you'll need, a clear head and plenty of patience. I found I had to remove most of the rear end of the bike to access the wires and get a good connection. The Rather then guessing I used a cheap meter to test the hot wire to ground, to make sure I got the running light and not the brake light (I hear music, but only when I stop! :lol: ). The ground to the battery is no easier - remember to prop up the nut when you loosen the connection so it doesn't fall off!!! Anyway, I heeded the advice of others and didn't use a cheapo connector, but bared a section of the wire and soldered the Autocom lead in place, followed with proper waterproofing tape.
The Autocom rocks. There are others out there just as good, I'm sure, but I really do love my Active Pro unit. Never a problem! Fantastic sound.
Oh, same advice for the helmet. Two hours start to finish getting it right, as my Shoei didn't have room for the speakers without some modification. If I crash my earlobes are in for a beating, as there's no foam! Just kidding, they say to not mess with the liner, but I belive that my VERY careful carving for just enough room for the speakers can't have done too much harm.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I guess I will throw this out there. I installed a steering stem mount with two mounting plates. Placed my Autocom in a small tank bag. I don't know which one you have but I have the middle of the line late model one that can run on a 9 volt batt. Works great and I have the option to put the tank bag on any bike I ride. Even my 1975 Yamha 650 if I want too. Sure adds portability to the system. I also ran a 12volt source from the batt thinking that the autocom may work better with the higher voltage but it didn't change anything except I don't have to change the batt every 12 hours of use or so. It's worth considering.

Bryon

·
Registered
247 Posts
After running it on a PP3 battery for almost a year I finally got around to wiring it to bike this year. First off I used the live feed and return to the rear brake switch which is fine until you brake. This of course effectively shorts out the Autocom feed and turns it off :roll:

So I ended up with the live feed from there and taking the return wire to one of the rear tank mounting bolts (with a soldered on ring crimp). It works fine and the beauty of this technique is that the brake pedal loom comes into the bike at (and under) the rear of the pillion seat (2002 - US 2003 model) so the weather proofing of the soldered break in connection is very easy - I used self amalgamating tape.

I guess I should have taken some pictures :roll:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Autocom sell a neat little back to back plug and socket that connects in line with the rear brake switch so you can take power from there without cutting in to the wiring. When you want to remove the intercom, (selling the bike?) just unplug the adaptor and away you go.

·
Registered
247 Posts
marshman said:
Autocom sell a neat little back to back plug and socket that connects in line with the rear brake switch so you can take power from there without cutting in to the wiring. When you want to remove the intercom, (selling the bike?) just unplug the adaptor and away you go.
OOOOoooooooooh! Bugger!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Shakey said:
After running it on a PP3 battery for almost a year I finally got around to wiring it to bike this year. First off I used the live feed and return to the rear brake switch which is fine until you brake. This of course effectively shorts out the Autocom feed and turns it off :roll:
You should have connected it to the brown wire not the yellow (UK 01 colours) and then it would have Ok.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Me too Shakey

I wish I'd known, my connections to tail running light and to rear tank mounting like you. This is my second FJR with the same system.
Pity I didnt do it as Marshman states.

Shakey, I took ages understanding your signature :shock: .
I'm english, living in france, and of course pronounce it the french way, today I tried to pronounce it with an english accent, and behold!!! all is clear! 8)
Now back to my paddles :wink:
Ian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts