FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My auto windshield retract works intermittently on my 04 ABS model. I guess there must be a loose connection somewhere. Has anyone else had this problem and know where might I begin to look for a solution? I am concerned it could be a fire hazard since loose connections can generate heat.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mine does the same thing and I'm not concerned in the least. I find it a minor inconvenience, if one at all. Personally I don't think it's any sort of hazard. Sorry no help here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks fjr vfr, it must be very few bikes effected. I have not seen anyone else on the forums I frequent with the same problem. I'll let you know if mine catches fire.

It has been a problem for maybe three months on mine.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
@TXFJR - If it only auto retracts sometimes/sometimes not, then it sound like the loose connection is in the plug. See here (thanks Warchild) fopr details on finding the plug: http://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=12

If it just operates intermittently altogether then maybe someone else will come along with a suggestion.

And I experienced an interesting phenomenon a short while ago - my windshield auto-retract was disconnected (unplugged 2 years ago), and I was jump-starting my FJR from an 'out-of-service' car battery (yes, I had left the bike standing for 6 days with the ignition on). Maybe the jump leads were not well enough connected (clamps in small places, etc), as the starter would still not crank; BUT (here's the strange part) the windshield retracted unassisted while the starter was trying to draw the required power to kick over (jump leads heated a fair bit, showing there was big current draw).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
david1300, yes it sometimes does/does not retract. it may be that plug. I had the panels off sometime ago and should have attempted a fix then. I have seen the post by Warchild on disableing that feature, but did not review it before installing new horns and fuse block, when I had the thing apart.

Taking the panels off is not something I enjoy. I love the FJR but working on it is a pain with the body work in the way.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Have there been any uncommanded movements of the screen when you were riding along? If there have, then on a couple of bikes (tended to be European 2001/2002) this has been a symptom of water getting in to the main wiring loom in the headstock area, and corrosion setting in. There were some other odd electrical happenings as well, and in the end the only cure was complete replacement of the loom. There was a thread on the old site about this, which gave some more specific detail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No marshman, it doesn't move by itself while riding. It just doesn't retract sometimes when the key is turned off.

The problem will have to get much worse before I would consider replacing the entire wire loom.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
237 Posts
marshman said:
Have there been any uncommanded movements of the screen when you were riding along? If there have, then on a couple of bikes (tended to be European 2001/2002) this has been a symptom of water getting in to the main wiring loom in the headstock area, and corrosion setting in. There were some other odd electrical happenings as well, and in the end the only cure was complete replacement of the loom. There was a thread on the old site about this, which gave some more specific detail.
Yep, my 01 developed the no retract symptom pretty early. However it still works with the switch. Haven´t been bothered about it though. The shop wanted to replace the whole windshield motor, but I declined.

Finnfjr

·
Registered
237 Posts
TXFJR said:
I doubt that the motor is bad if it still raises and lowers the windshield.
Yeah, thats what I thought as well. Decided to fix it when it gives up totally. So far so good:)

Finnfjr

·
Registered
159 Posts
My windshield was slow and rarely but occasionally seemed to stick. Then I hit a deer and while replacing the front plastic the shop discovered the windshield slider mechanism was "broken" and replaced the whole thing. If I recall correctly, the part I got back had a broken cross brace that I think kept the wires that move the windshield on a path... vague memory of an "Aha, that is why it was cranky.... friction when things got shaken out of alignment" moment. Replacing the cross piece seemed feasible with a bar from the hardware store but the new assembly works great so have not bothered playing with the old piece. (StateFarm paid for it though it was on the "totaled" edge cost wise. Plastic is expensive.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts