FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My first post here and sorry for my English.I hope you to understand me.
I'll travel (with my wife) for three weeks in Austria,Switzerland and north Italy.
From 19 of June.
In Switzerland we say to use as base the Thun area and in Austria the Salzburg area (perhaps Zell am see?), Italy ?still i dont know.
These two choices are they right to use as bases?
This is our first time in these countries (not the first trip in Europe) .We have perplexed ourselfs a little as long as it concerns what we must visit ,the ways and the passages in the Alpes.
Whenever if somebody has it the experience or live in the area it would be pleasant to give us some help.
If some other people travel in the region that period we will happy to meet them.

Regards
John

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Hi and welcome, John. Your English is just fine, and a lot better than our Greek. I am sure someone will be along soon that can help - I'm in Australia, so I can't. There is an Italian FJR forum here http://nuke.fjrforum.it/ and maybe they can also help with ideas.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Welcome to the forum salcon

About 23 years ago we stayed at a family friends farm in the Bernese Oberland between Berne and Thun, and the area was very nice. It was a particularly agricultural area, but then almost every inch of Switzerland is farmed, even the verges of the roads. We returned to Thun for the day on the bike when we camped near Gstaad a couple of years ago, and although the town had expanded a bit, it was still very pleasant.

As it's on the edge of the real mountains you have to travel a bit from there to find the famous passes, but some of the less well known (and quieter) roads are just as much fun. The road from Spiez to Gruyeres was pretty good, not too extreme, but nice and scenic.
I'm sure you will enjoy your holiday wherever you stay.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi John

I spent a little time in Switzerland last summer and passed through Thun as we left to head towards France.

About 45/60 minutes south of there are, in the order you will reach them.

the Grimsel, Furka, St Gotthard and Nuefenen passes.

In total about 100KM of riding for all 4 but well worth the ride down.

John

·
Registered
163 Posts
John

Few years ago now but stayed in Baetnberg, just outside of Interlaken, a lot cheaper than the main town of Interlaken, and a fanatstic run up the mountain to get there.

2 years ago did North Italy , Dolomites and stayed in great hotel with pool and sauna facilities.

www.gasthofoberwirt.com

Happy riding

Teejay

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you are around Zell Am See there used to be a ban on bikes between 1930 - 0800 or something like that , basically you couldnt ride through it at night . :(
The dolomites are good but roads are a bit patchy , you could get down to the Italian lakes for a day out , also from Zell you can get into Slovenia quite easily . 8)
Mind out as you enter villages in Switzerland the police are very active . :x If you go onto the Touratech website they do an excellent Alpen map which covers the whole area .
Feel free to PM me if you like, have ridden most of that area several times over the last few years .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your answers,You help me a lot.
I believe that Mittersill and Kaprun is final the villages that will remain?They are more quietly without a lot of traffic ,I think, and regions of Tyrol,Salzburg,Innsburck,Karnten are more interesting for a week tour from that i read.
The way for Austria will be from Vencie north to Veneto area and finaly between Grobvenediger to Mittersill
I heard that the limits of speed in Switzerland are very strictly.We'll see.
oppss work .See you later

·
Registered
247 Posts
Salcon,

Zell / Kaprun area is nice and from there you are very close to the Grossglockner Alpine road which I can very much recommend even if you have to pay about 30 Euro to use it.

The other legendary pass is the Stelvio. The Brenner pass is just motorway.

I stayed in Kaprun in February for skiing at Hotel Antonius

·
Registered
666 Posts
John
If you do the Grossglockner a small village on the south side called Heiligenblut is nice to visit.
There are 7 of us on four Fjr's coming very close to Thessaloniki on our way back from Turkey we will be staying in Pefkochori on Halkidiki on the 15th of June then on the 16th riding into the mountains towards Igoumenitsa. Can you recommend a nice place in the mountains for a nights stay.
Regards
Murf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You wiil travel up to Pefkochori for one day only??!!!!
The first place that i think is Konitsa.A fantastic way up to Ioannina and Igoumenitsa.
16th of June we'll travel also for Igoumenitsa to take the ferry for Venice next day.
We'll speak again before you begin your travel.

If anyone needs help about Greece tell me if i can help.

·
Registered
38 Posts
salcon said:
You wiil travel up to Pefkochori for one day only??!!!!
The first place that i think is Konitsa.A fantastic way up to Ioannina and Igoumenitsa.
16th of June we'll travel also for Igoumenitsa to take the ferry for Venice next day.
We'll speak again before you begin your travel.

If anyone needs help about Greece tell me if i can help.
Well done John! :wink:

·
Registered
666 Posts
John & Scotty
Nice to hear from you if you check out the tour2 cure site shown on this site you will see we are on a fairly tight schedule & we are meeting one of our major sponsors for the charity in Pefkochori for a photo shoot so unfortunately we cannot appreciate for to long your lovely country.
However Kozani was one of my chosen places looks superb. I have travelled from the UK to Greece in 1988 & had a wonderful time came through Skopje to Thessalonika down to Athens & ferry to Rhodos & then to Symi returned to Athens & over to Patra via the Corinthian canal bridge a most wonderful sight. Spent a wonderful night at Akrata beach where the hospitality was fantastic.
If possible it would be nice to meet you guys enroute. Is this world getting smaller or do us bikers just make it sound easy. :D .

·
Registered
107 Posts
salcon said:
Hi
My first post here and sorry for my English.I hope you to understand me.
I'll travel (with my wife) for three weeks in Austria,Switzerland and north Italy.
From 19 of June.
In Switzerland we say to use as base the Thun area and in Austria the Salzburg area (perhaps Zell am see?), Italy ?still i dont know.
These two choices are they right to use as bases?
This is our first time in these countries (not the first trip in Europe) .We have perplexed ourselfs a little as long as it concerns what we must visit ,the ways and the passages in the Alpes.
Whenever if somebody has it the experience or live in the area it would be pleasant to give us some help.
If some other people travel in the region that period we will happy to meet them.

Regards
John
Contact "diegooogeid", he lives in nothern Italy (Dolomites).
And "swondi" lives in Austria.
swondi = Stephan Rissi = http://www.fjr-austria-tour.com/

·
Registered
22 Posts
hello everybody

i'm glad if i can help you with some advice with regard to tours through austria and switzerland.

the perfect are to tour around is certainly vorarlberg, tyrol and salzburg. it also gives a good combination with south-tyrol in italy. there is more than enough to explore.

however, if you want to do switzerland too, they have fantastic roads. however, speed fines are high in switzerland and austria. so don't worry.

if you have a garmin ... i can send you a file with nice tours. personally, i would not make a base at one place, i would travel around.

here is my email: [email protected] or [email protected]

best regards

stephan

·
Registered
22 Posts
... i have almost forgotten to tell you: starting from middle of June onwards is a good time. last year we had a very long winter and the last roads in the alps have opened around june 10.

so all roads should be open at that time.

it would be nice to meet when you are here, so maybe we could do one day together ...

best regards

stephan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.