FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
FJRKYM said:
Seem same as Yamaha part but cheaper.

ShowChrome part # 17-950 Hested grip set with 4 position control.

Yes, I have them in stock @ A$139.95 (inc GST) plus post

www.BIGBIKEBITZ.com

or

email: [email protected]
I purchased a set of these, my dealer has just installed them, quality looks good but will get a true test this weekend, he fitted the switch inside the glove box to my 05, I figured the glove box was too small for much else anyway, but there is still space for a cellphone. The only modification was to add a 1 cm long spacer between the ends of the bars and bar end fittings because the heated grips are slightly longer than the factory grips.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: Heated grips

docfjr said:
Hi,

Do you happen to know if they fit the 06A?

Thanks!
I dont know for sure, but unless the bar / grip size differs on the 06 they should fit perfectly, my mechanic wired them to the ignition so they are off when the bike is off and this could be done with an 06 as with any other bike.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: Ebay

Pierre said:
Bought mine on Ebay, brand new Yamaha, whole kit for $130.00,

the guys is posting a set every month about.
Pierre, you did well, my Showchromes worked out at a similar cost (NZ$ equivalent) with shipping from Australia included. I have a review on the FJR in one of our local bike magazines and the photo of the factory heated grips reveal them as identical to the Showchromes I purchased, we pay NZ$500 here for the Yamaha product, the Showchromes including shipping cost NZ$182, I'm happy!

·
Registered
134 Posts

docfjr said:
Hi,

Do you happen to know if they fit the 06A?

Thanks!
Doc, the install my mechanic did differed from the one described in the other forum (see link I sent earlier), when I suggested the switch be placed on the panel by the glove box he suggested putting it inside the glove box out of the way instead, also he wired it to the ignition and he used a spacer at the ends instead of washers.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Tony Doms said:
Doc, the install my mechanic did differed from the one described in the other forum (see link I sent earlier), when I suggested the switch be placed on the panel by the glove box he suggested putting it inside the glove box out of the way instead, also he wired it to the ignition and he used a spacer at the ends instead of washers.
Thanks for the help, Tony! I'm looking forward to warmer digits this winter ;-)

·
Registered
37 Posts
My Solution for Grip warmers

Gentlemen,

This is my solution for grip warmers on my 06:

I too felt Yamaha was ripping us off charging those prices for the factory heated grips. In fact I'm sure the less expensive grips are identical to the factory grips. Yamaha buys those parts from another source & then gives them a Yamaha part number.

Since I also wanted heated grips (I ride all year long) & I wasn't happy with the Yamaha price or the way the Yamaha Control unit sticks out so high from the dash panel, I came up with a different approach. My friend John has an 04 Honda ST1300 with heated grips. Have ridden his bike in winter & those grips get HOT. After inspecting his bike's grips (he & I share a garage) I discovered the grips on his bike are identical to the Yamaha factory grips. The control unit is different, & I like it better. So I order the Honda part # 08T50-MCS-100 after searching on the web & found it for $160, & then installed it myself. Here are some pics:

The Honda Thermostat Control Unit shown above in my opinion looks much better than the protruding Yamaha Controller, & I only had to dremmel out the removable square panel.

This photo above shows my set up of grip puppies over the heated grips (yes the grips still get very hot), with a vista cruise control & manic salamander end weights.

I think this profile with a flush mounted control unit is much cleaner than the Yamaha controller. The best part is it works! And I installed it myself.

Just thought I'd share another option for you boys & girls. 8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.