FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've jsut had my 05 serviced today and i'm a little bit sus about it.

this bike shop who sells yamaha and triumph, started out purely as a dirt bike shop, and have now aquired the aforemention road bike brands, however, i still feel that they should have stayed just in dirt bikes.

my problem this. what should they have done for the 6.000km service?
they have done: replaced sparks plugs 4 of @ AU$5.95 each
2.5 hrs labour AU$66 per hr tot: $165
$6 shop supplies
3.5 Liters COMP 4 ENG Oil tot $43.75
they said they greased and lubed clutch and brake cables etc. blah blah blah
for a tot: $238.55

is the oil filter changed? or should etc They haven't changed it i know!
I'm a lil bit :? thsi is the first new bike i have ever owned and i already have done an IBA SS1600 on it, did that on saturday just gone and i do lots of long miles and i sure don't want to break down in the middle of australia with only flies and desert for company because some bike shop don't do a job properly.
Cheers
Thommo

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Hi Thommo - my owners manual shows 10,000k's as the recommended service interval, and gives a 28-point 'Periodic Maintenance and Lubrication Chart' - in my book it's page 6-2. Very little is done at the 1,000k service, and maybe your shop just repeated that as the 10,000k's wasn't up yet? I guess they would have decided not to change the oil filter as 10,000k's were not up yet. If I ran the shop I would have changed it (and charged for it).

You can't do harm by servicing more often than recommended, though 8) and I think that in other parts of the world they do have shorter service intervals, but I don't know the reason. Also, the service book (which is NOT FJR specific does show 6,000k intervals, but this is a generic book used for a range of bikes). I get mine serviced every 10,000k's and that works in OK because I can just about stretch a rear tyre to 10,000k's if I take it easy for a while.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ripped ??

Hey Thommo,

I would have to agree with David, we are on a 10K interval down here... 2.5 hrs seems a bit rich for the work they did, and they are professionals ?

2.5hrs should have got the oil, oil filter, plugs, throttle body sync, shaft spline lube etc etc... I think I woudl be taking it somewhere else if you have the option... Or do it yourself and keep the receipts.

I am not sure how they lubed the brake cables, as it is hydraulic...

As for being stuck in the middle of nowhere... Except for current missing issues, I would not hesitate to jump on effie and ride her around Aus... No doubt it would make it ! Great bike (usually !!)

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
This 6,000 vs 10,000 service confusion keeps coming up. It arises because some countries work in miles, and others in kilometres.
6,000 miles is roughly equal to 10,000 kilometres. I think this fact is even confused in some Yamaha publications. So, the service interval is definitely 10,000 Km (6,000 miles).

·
Registered
307 Posts
I can only reiterate what the others have said, 10000klms is the service interval. Having said that, I must admit that I change my oil and filter every 5000klms, purely for peace of mind (my mechanic actually recommends changing the oil every 3000klms, a bit over the top).
The cost of your service, $238.00, is probably pretty reasonable by dealer standards, I know that I nearly collapsed when I had my first 10000klm service, the cost was well over $500.00 and I never returned to the dealer again. One thing you must have is faith in your mechanic, if you don't have faith in these people, find somebody who gives you that peace of mind.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm a bit late picking up on this thread, but I reckon they have over-charged you. They didn't need to change the spark plugs & they have done bugger all to the clutch & brake 'cables' - as previously stated, there aren't any.

I'm no great technician, but with the help of this site, it is easy to change the oil & filter yourself, the air filter is easy to access, buy a Morgan Carbtune & the TB synch becomes easy, greasing the shaft drive splines & universal joint is again very straightforward - spend the money on good tools & give the Dodgy Bros the arse. You know it makes sense !

·
Registered
12 Posts
thommo i would expect 20,000 k's + from plugs.did they give you back the old ones?bet there like new.what does the owners hanbook state?4 serviceing ? did they change the diff oil ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts