FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if it might too noisy to hear some audio gear while riding the FJR? I'd like to wear a headset so I can listen to my XM MyFi, iPod, cell phone, Yaesu VX-5 or Kenwood TM-D700A VHF amateur radio HAM transceivers.

The XM, iPod, VX-5 and cell phone are self-powered so I could wear them on my belt or in my jacket. If anyone has tried this I'd like to know your thoughts.

I'd like to know how many watts or amps the FJR alternator produces and whether the electrical system generates RF noise that might interfere with sensitive receivers. The Kenwood could draw up to 11.5 amps.

Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
FJR = Speed = Wind = Noise
I recommend getting a set of custom made earplugs w/ speakers in them from your local hearing aid store. They greatly reduce the wind-noise and pipe the sound(s) straight into your head (almost creepy the first couple of times). Added bonus: you don't have to modify your helmet lining.
I wear a portable MP3 player/radio, and it works great w/ my earplugs.

Generated electrical noise... Of course it does! But at these speeds, can you tell? :wink:
I don't really know (haven't tried it yet), and will leave it for others to reply a bit more seriously, but imagine an inline filter would solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Used to have my iQue GPS/PDA/MP3 player plugged into the bikes 12v supply via a lighter socket, feeding audio into the Autocom, but it was a bit 'noisy'. There was a high pitched engine speed whine (from the alternator?), and lots of clicking when I used the indicators etc.
Fitted a ferrite block to the Garmins power lead and that removed 90% of the extraneous signals.
Now I just run it on its internal battery, and it doesn't pick up any electrical noise from the bike at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts