FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WAHOOOO!

Picked up my brand spanking new '06 FJR1300A from my dealer on Friday afternoon and promptly went out for a little spin.

As a former FJ1200 ('92) owner my new FJR immediately felt familiar but also vastly improved over my old FJ. There was of course the same smooth power curve (stronger engine I know than the old FJ, but I wasn't trying that hard), sharper feel around the corners (old FJ felt a little - ahem - imprecise at times), and much improved ergonomics.

Speaking of ergonomics, I'll need to play with the seat height, and bar position a bit to get things set-up just right, but overall things seemed to fit nicely. I suspect I'll be looking for a bigger windshield soon though. The wind hits me in the forehead with the screen all the way up at highway speeds. I'm 6'5" (198cm) though so that shouldn't be a problem for most riders.

Other initial impressions were that shifting was nice and smooth (no break-in clunkiness), and fit and finish appeared first rate (I'm no welder though so can't vouch for frame weld quality as referenced in some other threads).

Interestingly, Yamaha Canada hadn't shipped the hard bags yet - dealer said they would arrive within the week - so might be some truth to the rumours posted in other threads that they are having supply-chain issues with them. Didn't seem to bother Yamaha Canada to make my bike available to me so maybe they're taking a different approach than they are south of the 49th parallel ('er, the USA).

As for the curb-appeal of the bike, although clearly I'm biased I think the '06 model looks just that much nicer than the earlier years. The blue on the Canadian & US 06A's is absolutely stunning. Had family over for my daughter's birthday the day after I picked up my bike and the univeral impression from everyone was "wow!".

Lastly, I'm approaching middle-age so getting a tad too old to be a reliable judge of the coolness factor these days... However, my neighbor's son who is in his early-twenties called it "Sick!" which I'm going to assume is a good thing...

If you got one, enjoy it, and if you're still a waiter rest assured it's worth it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Brian D, welcome to the R club. Yes the similarity and differences to the FJ models is amazing.
I am 6'6" so know what you mean about the wind off the shield. A slight flip like the Givi makes a big difference, but you may have to 'wait' for the aftermarket to catch up with new screens. I have 59,000km on my '04 and have become quite comfortable with it. Only use the larger screen in the winter. Yes, out here in Victoria, ride all year.
Enjoy your new mount, and yes it is a very 'sick' bike or so my kids and their friends tell me.
Any thoughts of riding to Reno in July? Always room for a few more Canadians.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great news Brian. It sounds like it is everything you expected. Mine must be on the next boat as it is only due at the dealer in mid May. Maybe the cases will be there too! I still have my CBX to ride around on so at least I'm on two wheels eh.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dealer called and said mine was in, I can pick it up tomorrow. :D

Of course it's been dry for month's and now the weather channel is predicting 3 days of rain, starting tomorrow! :cry:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts