FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wrote my third one off.

The other night I was on my way home from work, hit some gravel while turning left, FJR went fwoop, I went slambouncebouncebounceFUCKbounce.

Just finished with the insurance company on the estimate, it's a writeoff and I'm getting ~$6400 back out of it with all the accessories on it as it sat when I bought it. I just put tires on it so really $6100.

So, time to either look for #4 or try something different for a couple years.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Did you wreck the first two also? Man, that is some buzzard luck right there.

Take it you were geared up and relatively unhurt thank goodness.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you wreck the first two also? Man, that is some buzzard luck right there.

Take it you were geared up and relatively unhurt thank goodness.
The first one I was rear-ended on 23 hours after I bought it, the second one I had someone try to pull a Pittsburgh Left on me.... while I was already in the intersection. So we ended up intersecting instead. This was my first at-fault motorcycle accident........yay.....

I had my helmet on but I skipped the jacket for a short ride so I'm scraped up and sore but otherwise fine. I wasn't going that fast when it happened fortunately. A few days from now and I'll be back to good and ready to buy another bike.

I'm already ready to buy another bike but my wife wants me to wait a few days at least. Probably for the best, I don't have my insurance payout yet

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,405 Posts
Aran, sorry to hear this, hope you're not too stiff and sore. I see a coupla scratches on that beautiful black cherry..... think it will buff right out.... oh wait... again, my sympathies totally.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Oh Lord, that's some bad luck, sorry to hear about your mishaps :-(
It's obvious you like the FJR, but how about you try a different bike this time, maybe something lighter and with lower center of gravity.
Also consider to invest into some crash bars or sliders on the next bike (don't ask me how I know)
And yes we all learn it the hard way, the magic word is ATGATT, (don't ask me how I know)
...get well soon and listen to your wife :)

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Aran,

Don't think of it as three lost FJRs but rather that the FJR community has gained three parts bikes. Glad to hear you're doing OK. When you look back on the incident, have you thought about how it happened? Inattentiveness, sun shining in your eyes so you couldn't make out the road surface, too much front brake and/or turning speed...? Always good to use these situations as learning opportunities.

Zwartie

·
Registered
253 Posts
Gosh dang that's some bad luck. Hopefully you've used up all your bad luck and good luck start coming your way.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Glad your body is (mostly) ok, everything else is replaceable. It's just stuff. That being said, I would fix that bike. It doesn't look to be more than take off parts in the pictures. If frame suspension and drivetrain is good, it definitely repairable.

Winter project?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad your body is (mostly) ok, everything else is replaceable. It's just stuff. That being said, I would fix that bike. It doesn't look to be more than take off parts in the pictures. If frame suspension and drivetrain is good, it definitely repairable.

Winter project?
It's gone, Copart picked it up hours ago. Every single piece of plastic on the left was damaged, the nose cone piece was cracked, the fairing stay was pretzeled (I bent it back down so I could use the mostly shattered mirror to get home) and it was going to be thousands in parts that all needed replaced. I got $6400 and change for it, a 2007 with 64k miles, I don't have garage space to store a bike to slowly put back together, and I'm already looking at replacing with a newer, lower mileage bike.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh Lord, that's some bad luck, sorry to hear about your mishaps :-(
It's obvious you like the FJR, but how about you try a different bike this time, maybe something lighter and with lower center of gravity.
Also consider to invest into some crash bars or sliders on the next bike (don't ask me how I know)
And yes we all learn it the hard way, the magic word is ATGATT, (don't ask me how I know)
...get well soon and listen to your wife :)
Thanks but I don't have any issues with the weight or center of gravity on the FJR, it was a freak incident that had nothing to do with my ability to handle it and it was over before I could react in any way. I've had frame sliders on most of my previous bikes but hadn't found a set I liked for this one yet.

As far as gear, this was literally the third time I rode further than past my block without a jacket in 15 years of riding, the second being earlier this month and the first a year and change ago while doing maintenance on it and I went about a mile that time.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
It's gone, Copart picked it up hours ago. Every single piece of plastic on the left was damaged, the nose cone piece was cracked, the fairing stay was pretzeled (I bent it back down so I could use the mostly shattered mirror to get home) and it was going to be thousands in parts that all needed replaced. I got $6400 and change for it, a 2007 with 64k miles, I don't have garage space to store a bike to slowly put back together, and I'm already looking at replacing with a newer, lower mileage bike.
YOU GOT 6,400 dollars for an 07!!!! What is the name of your insurance company and where is that corner with the gravel!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
YOU GOT 6,400 dollars for an 07!!!! What is the name of your insurance company and where is that corner with the gravel!!!
Progressive.

The base valuation of the bike was $5038, then they added on the Two Brothers Juice Box, V Stream windshield, Throttlemeister grips, and the damaged Givi case/mount (Which were all on it when I bought it.... for about $5000) plus the taxes on all of it

And it was made better with my $0 deductible and accident forgiveness ;)

I've only ever paid for one bike, the rest have been bought with the proceeds from the previous being written off due to someone hitting it or otherwise damaging it, plus profit on top. I've technically not paid for insurance I've made so much in 15 years from writeoffs... Not to brag, since it really sucks to lose a bike outside of your own choice.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Don’t care about the bikes they are infinitely replaceable but please stop it before you hurt yourself.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Do you believe in gremlin bells? If not, with that kind of luck you should look into it. Jokes aside, glad you're okay. I've had a few major incidents myself (one involved an unceremonious 'flight' over the length of a Trans-Am in '87); just make sure you aren't using up all of your nine lives, okay?

Now that that's settled, what are you looking at next?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now that that's settled, what are you looking at next?
I'm eyeing a 2013 FJR a few hours from me but there's also a 2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary Edition with panniers and only 10k miles a little further out

1 - 20 of 42 Posts